Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting moving files and creating a link to it Post 302364858 by jp2542a on Saturday 24th of October 2009 08:30:04 AM
Old 10-24-2009
The script will only move files that are not links already. The tar pipe is a convenient way to move the files without having to create logic to make paths and directories that may not exits. What the script does:
  1. Create variables for directories
  2. create a list of regular files. Note sym links will not be in the list.
  3. Use a tar pipe to transfer the files and directory structure to the destination directory. Only files that have not already been processed are moved.
  4. remove the source files and create sym links in the source directory to the target directory

For the first run, every file will be moved and linked. For any subsequent runs, only files that are not sym links (i.e. new additions) will be moved.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a link

Hi All, Suppose i have a directory called /home/rooh and I have an executable that writes to this directory. the size of /home/rooh/logs is quite small and thus blows out of space. I don't want to modify the executable but I want to create a link so that all the logs are moved there . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating symbolic link

Any idea how to create a symbolic link...for example i want to create a symbolink link for a specific user in his profile to use the df command...? Thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating link to new vim

Hi, I have installed vim 7 but I'm unsure how to point the 'vim' command to the new vim version rather than version 6. Thanks in advance. Michael (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

6. Solaris

creating link for a file of remote server

Hi, I use to access a file on remote server. Can I create a link for this file present on remote server on my local server, if yes then please let me know. Thanx in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd while Creating Symbolic Link

Hi, # mkdir usr3 # ls -l /h/uxossolbld10/0/teamcity/agent total 8 drwxrwxr-x 14 test1 rdl 512 Nov 30 02:54 conf drwxrwxr-x 3 test1 rdl 512 Jun 24 14:21 scripts drwxrwxr-x 10 test1 rdl 512 Jun 3 2011 teamcity drwxrwxr-x 4 test1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Divakar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating hard link with name

How can I create a hard link to a file, then rename the hard link to a different name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fhill2
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc.

how can i move "dataName".sql.gz into a folder called 'database' and then move "$fileName".tar.gz * .htaccess into a folder called 'www' with the entire gzipped file being "$fileName".tar.gz? Is this doable or overly complex. so mydemo--2015-03-23-1500.tar.gz > database -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the target of a symbolic link

Hello all, On a Solaris box, I am trying to move the target of a symbolic link. Let's say the symbolic link looks like the following: /dir1/dir2/link -> /some/dir/target I would like to know of a simple way to move the target of the symbolic link and not the link itself. I'd like to move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
4 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)