Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to Encrypt password
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Encrypt password Post 302364421 by DSDexter on Friday 23rd of October 2009 03:10:36 AM
Old 10-23-2009
How to Encrypt password

Hello,

I have a paramter file, In which I store all the user-ids and passwords for the project. So if a user just invokes the paramter file he has access to all the variables, which i have exported in the parmatere file.

Now if a user echo's the variable which stores the databse password. He can clearly view it on the screen.

I define the password variable something like this.

Code:
var_pwd=pa$$worD
export var_pwd

So if I do

echo $var_pwd, It displays the password. I dont want this to be displayed as is, the output of echo should be some encryted text. How can i do this?

Thanks
DSDexter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

encrypt and decrypt password

how do i encrypt and decrypt a password (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanwish
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script....encrypt password and use

Could someone please help me...I have an expect script. There's a need for a log in during the script and a password is required...right now the password is just a variable in the expect script...what would be the best way to put that in an encrypted flat file and have the expect script pull the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to encrypt oracle password table ?

Hi Oracle & Unix expert, Could you tell me how to encrypt oracle table ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olaris
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and save password

Hello all, I need to encrypt and save a password in a file and later decrypt to determine the original password string. Please suggest how can I use the linux commands or other approach to accomplish this. Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cheerful
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide/encrypt password in script?

Hi I have following problem Im writing a script (in bash ) , where need to be written login & passwd for databas client . Its need to in following form login passwd@dbhostname . The problem is so anybody can read it so the passwd & login are visible and thats not very safety . Can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

DB2 Connect Encrypt Password

Hi All, If someone can help me with password encryption. We have shell scripts that connect to a database using db2 connect and we have the password hardcoded in the script. Can someone let me know if there's a way to encrypt this password? I've seen alot of users suggest we create an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethymno19
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt password but use * when typing password

Hi, I came across the following script for encrypting the password in this forum #! /usr/bin/ksh exec 4>/dev/tty function getpass { typeset prompt=$1 typeset backspace=$(echo \\b\\c) typeset enter=$(echo \\r\\c) typeset savesetting=$(stty -g) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbashyam
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt DB password in Script

Hi, I have a SQL which i want to run through a shell script. query_result=`/home/oracle/product/11.2.0/bin/sqlplus -S uname/pwd@DBNAME <<! set heading off feedback off trimspool on set pagesize 0 set linesize 9999 spool $PARAM_PATH/param_name.txt; Select sysdate from dual; spool off;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt Plaintext Password?

How do I encrypt a plaintext password that I need hardcoded in a bash script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wyclef
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Encrypt and Decrypt a File with Password

Hello, I have few files on unix which are payroll related and I need them to encrypt with password so others wouldn't see the data. I use ETL tool and would like to know the unix command that does encryption/decryption to use in the ETL. Thank you, Sri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
3 Replies
NWVOLINFO(1)							     nwvolinfo							      NWVOLINFO(1)

NAME
nwvolinfo - Diplay info on NetWare Volumes SYNOPSIS
nwvolinfo [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -v volume ] [ -N ] DESCRIPTION
nwvolinfo displays information on a NetWare Server Volume. nwvolinfo looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more informa- tion. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwvolinfo prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -v volume The volume name to be used. Defaults to 'SYS'. -N Display the information in numeric-only format for use in a pipe. AUTHORS
nwvolinfo was written by Jacek Stepniewski <cunio@gazeta.pl> based on utilities by Volker Lendecke. nwvolinfo 7/9/1996 NWVOLINFO(1)