Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Data Transfers Lock System Up Completely Post 302364051 by deckard on Thursday 22nd of October 2009 01:44:51 AM
Old 10-22-2009
Data Transfers Lock System Up Completely

I have two laptops on which I've installed Ubuntu Studio 9.04. The first laptop (Acer) has a Centrino 32-bit Intel CPU in it and the second (HP) has a 64-bit dual core Intel CPU. I'm running the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Studio on the Acer and the 64-bit version on the HP. While testing the installation on the Acer in August, I noticed that after about 100 or so bytes of session data being transmitted (an 'ls' command, an scp session, etc...) the Acer would completely lock up. I created the session using gnome-terminal.

When I say "lock up" I mean a complete system failure. At first I thought it was Xorg freezing. Ctrl-Alt-F1 through F6 would not get me to a VT. Pinging the box returned nothing at this point. The only recourse is to press the power button until the system shuts off and then reboot. The system is fine as long as I don't do any SSH sessions which makes it kind of hard to use... Since this laptop was an Acer, I chalked it up to some instability in the system. Maybe a CPU overheat or bad RAM. It was a $279 refurb after all.

But I recently got a brand new HP HDX16t which is a really nice bit of hardware. To my surprise, SSH sessions do the same exact thing. So I just tested a little more. It has nothing to do with how long I remain connected. I let it sit for about five minutes an pings continued to work while I was logged in via SSH. I also checked the interface on the remote machine (the one I'm connected to the HP from) and watched to verify the amount of data transmitted (roughly) until the system stops responding to pings. It's still about 100 or so bytes and then the system is not responsive. Identical behavior to the Acer.

The chances of me having two laptops that both have dodgy hardware are pretty slim. I've swapped network cables, and switches (Netgeat and Linksys) and the same problem occurs, so it doesn't appear to be network hardware. I tested with NFS for file transfers next to see if this might be a NIC driver issue or maybe a disk I/O driver issue. NFS and rsync both did the same thing. Sadly, since the system locks up, there's no real way I can think of logging the cause of the problem. It's likely that the system is already too far gone before it can log anything.

I also tried doing all of this with Xorg/gdm stopped straight from the console. Same behavior. It seems to only affect the system when it's transferring data out. If I pull in from somewhere everything is fine. I'm going to try and export a flash drive to see if it might be an I/O driver problem with the SATA drive...

---------- Post updated at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:30 AM ----------

Same thing with a flash drive exported via NFS. So it's probably not a disk I/O issue. That leads me to believe that the NIC driver might be problematic. The NIC is listed in lspci as "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Giabit Ethernet controller (rev02) I'm pretty sure that's a fairly stable driver. Anything else I should check?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

System not starting completely

I have an Ultra 60, running Solaris 5.8. During boot all of a sudden it dies after Yp comes up then the netmasks are set and then I don't see anything any more. How do I tell whats causing it to hang at this point. I can login to it but can't tell what preocess is hung. /var/adm/messages has no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Unable to release package administration lock for this system

Hi, I created a Solaris package, but at the end of installation (on a Solaris 10 sparc) I get : #pkgadd -d MyApp_version__SunOS_sparc.pkg ... Installation of <MyAppName> was successful. pkgadd: ERROR: ERROR: Unable to release package administration lock for this system; try again later... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does netcat manage the data it transfers ?

Hi all, When using netcat to transfer the data over socket, if no connection is established, how long will netcat keep the data; will it discard the "oldest" data ? Say for example I use "Some Command | netcat -l -p port", the command I use will generate a lot of output constantly, while no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qiulang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check EOF char in Unix. OR To check file has been received completely from a remote system

Advance Thanks. (1) I would like to know any unix/Linux command to check EOF char in a file. (2) Or Any way I can check a file has been reached completely at machine B from machine A. Note that machine A ftp/scp the file to machine B at unknown time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Help me to lock my system.

Hi All! I am not able to lock my Ubuntu 12.04 LXDE. Can anybody tell me the shortcut to lock the system. I have tried all conventional keyboard shortcuts as well as buttons. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQLLDR :Data not loaded completely

Hi , I am using below control file LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE LSHADMIN.EG TRAILING NULLCOLS ( STUDY CHAR ) and the text file to load data is CACZ885M2301 When I run below command: sqlldr userid=apps/apps control=/home/appsuser/dataload/ctl_file.ctl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
3 Replies
IXGB(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   IXGB(4)

NAME
ixgb -- Intel(R) PRO/10GbE Ethernet driver for the FreeBSD operating system SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device ixgb Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_ixgb_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ixgb driver provides support for PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the Intel 82597EX Ethernet controller chips. The driver supports Transmit/Receive checksum offload and Jumbo Frames. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the documentation supplied with your Intel PRO/10GbE adapter. All hardware require- ments listed apply to use with FreeBSD. Support for Jumbo Frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit Jumbo Frames. The maximum MTU size for Jumbo Frames is 16114. This driver version supports VLANs. For information on enabling VLANs, see ifconfig(8). HARDWARE
The ixgb driver supports the following cards: o Intel PRO/10GbE LR Server Adapter o Intel PRO/10GbE SR Server Adapter DIAGNOSTICS
ixgb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory A fatal initialization error has occurred. ixgb%d: Unable to allocate bus resource: interrupt A fatal initialization error has occurred. ixgb%d: watchdog timeout -- resetting The device has stopped responding to the network, or there is a problem with the network connection (cable). SUPPORT
For general information and support, go to the Intel support website at: http://support.intel.com. If an issue is identified with the released source code on the supported kernel with a supported adapter, email the specific information related to the issue to <freebsdnic@mailbox.intel.com>. SEE ALSO
arp(4), em(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), polling(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The ixgb device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 4.11 and FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
The ixgb driver was written by Intel Corporation <freebsdnic@mailbox.intel.com>. BSD
August 18, 2006 BSD