Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting taking a part of string from a given path Post 302363932 by ssuresh1999 on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 03:36:36 PM
Old 10-21-2009
Awesome thank you very much

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the path part of an argument

Seems I'm inundating this forum with questions, but anyway: I am writing a script that should accept one and only one argument when called. That argument should designate a file, either with path/filename or just filename. Now to the difficult bit: I want to figure out a way to store... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking the end off a path

I need a script to be able to take a path such as "/foo/bar/thing" a put the "/foo/bar/" bit in one variable and the "thing" bit in another. I figured awk would probably be the best tool for the job but looking at the man page didn't seem to help. The only way i know how to use awk is with... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nat
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking a name out of $PATH

so here is my path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/a:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin how would I remove only the "a" or name string within it? any help appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking a part from file name

hi i have a file with name "CT_Thread_Trace.384.20080728-121217.log" i need 384 , can any one help thanks Satya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve part of file path

Hi I am trying to use sed to retrieve part of my html file's path. I am having a hard time getting what I want. Could someone give me some help? I want to retrieve the section after html and before the file name For example if I have the following, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger66
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to select last part of a path

Hi all, I am learning the use of regular expression and I would like to know which regex can be used to select only the last part of a directory path name. Something like: /dir1/dir2/dir2 and I want to select the last /dir2 where dir2 can be any kind of string. Thanks a lot for your help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elric
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do i use vi to substitute an expression that is part of a path?

Let say I have /home/user1/bin/ and i want it to be /root/bin I tried : s/\/home\/user1/user2/ but it can't find the pattern user1. I tried: s/*\/home\/user1*/user2/ as well same result many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00lsnoopy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking part of one file name and putting it into a another file name

Not sure how to do the following, but any help would be appreciated. Has to be done using C shell (sorry about that). I have about 300 files that I need this done for, but I am only going to give one example. I will just need to know how to execute your solution through some type of loop to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A way to print only part of directory path

Hi, So I struggled to find a solution to the following problem: I want to make sed print only part of multiple different paths. So lets say we have /path/path1/path2/logs/bla/blabla /path/path1/path2/path3/logs/yadda/yadda/yadda Can someone suggest a way to make sed or other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking out part of a string by matching a pattern

Hi All, My Problem is like below. I have a file which contains just one row and contains data like PO_CREATE12457888888888889SK1234567878744551111111111SK89456321145789955455555SK8888888815788852222 i want to extract SK12345678 SK89456321 SK88888888 So basically SK and next 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asfakul Islam
4 Replies
GSIMPLECAL(1)						      General Commands Manual						     GSIMPLECAL(1)

NAME
gsimplecal - lightweight calendar applet SYNOPSIS
gsimplecal [-h|--help|-v|--version|next_month|prev_month] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the usage of the gsimplecal command. gsimplecal is a lightweight calendar applet. When it is started, it first shows up, when you run it again, it closes the running instance. It was intentionally made for use with tint2 panel to be launched upon clock click, but of course it will work without it, you can bind it to some hotkey in you window manager, for example. Also, you may configure gsimplecal to display different world timezones clocks. See the CONFIGURATION section to get to know how to. COMMANDS AND OPTIONS
-v, --version Print the program name and version to stdout, then exit with code 0. -h, --help Print the short usage help to stderr, then exit with error code 2. prev_month, next_month If the program is not running, simply run it. If the program is running, change currently displayed month. If no options and commands are given, the program is toggled, i.e. if it is running it stops, otherwise it starts. CONFIGURATION
To configure the application you should manually create the file $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gsimplecal/config (usually it will be ~/.config/gsimplecal/config) with contents like this: show_calendar = 1 show_timezones = 1 mark_today = 1 show_week_numbers = 0 close_on_unfocus = 0 external_viewer = sunbird -showdate "%Y-%m-%d" clock_format = %a %d %b %H:%M mainwindow_decorated = 0 mainwindow_keep_above = 1 mainwindow_sticky = 0 mainwindow_skip_taskbar = 1 mainwindow_resizable = 0 mainwindow_position = none mainwindow_xoffset = 0 mainwindow_yoffset = 0 clock_label = UTC clock_tz = :UTC clock_label = Local clock_tz = The options are pretty self explanatory, but here is detailed description: show_calendar: 1 or 0, defaults to 1. Sets whether the calendar should be shown. Most users want this option to be 1. show_timezones: 1 or 0, defaults to 0. Sets whether the different timezone clocks should be shown. mark_today: 1 or 0, defaults to 1. Sets whether today's date will be marked in the calendar (besides the default selection, i.e. when you click on the other day, today will remain marked somehow, e.g. in bold print). show_week_numbers: 1 or 0, defaults to 0. Sets whether week numbers are shown in the calendar. close_on_unfocus: 1 or 0, defaults to 0. Sets whether the calendar will close if the window loses focus. Note that if mainwindow_skip_taskbar is set to 1 then the calendar window may not be given focus upon creation external_viewer: string, defaults to empty string. Command line to run when doubleclicking a date. This string is strftime'd (see man strftime for the possible substitutions) and passed to the shell. Thus you can use pipes, redirections, and whatever, I hope. Currently the shell is hardcoded to /bin/sh though. I hope that will do for all the users, but if you've got a trouble, please file a ticket (see REPORTING BUGS). clock_format: string Sets the clocks format. Look man strftime for the possible formats. mainwindow_decorated: 1 or 0, defaults to 0. Tells your window manager to decorate or not to decorate the main window. mainwindow_keep_above: 1 or 0, defaults to 1. Sets whether the main window should be placed on top of other windows by your window manager. mainwindow_sticky: 1 or 0, defaults to 0. Tells your window manager to show gsimplecal on all desktops. mainwindow_skip_taskbar: 1 or 0, defaults to 1. Sets whether the main window should be shown in the task list by your panel or window manager. mainwindow_resizable: 1 or 0, defaults to 1. Sets whether your window manager should allow the main window to be resized. If you are using a tiling window manager which supports floating windows, setting this options to 0 will most likely tell your WM not to tile the window. (Tested with XMonad and Awesome). mainwindow_position: mouse|center|none, defaults to mouse. Tells your window manager where to place the gsimplecal window: mouse close to the mouse cursor position (this one is useful when you bind gsimplecal on some mouse click command); center in the center of the screen; none it's up to your window manager to decide, where to place the window (this one is useful when you bind gsimplecal invocation on some hotkey, so you can configure your window manager to place gsimplecal in some predefined position). mainwindow_xoffset and mainwindow_yoffset: integer, default to 0. Allow for main window position fine tuning. Throw an integer at these, and it'll move the window by that number of pixels. clock_label and clock_tz: string These two options should go in pairs and must be in the order given. Each pair creates new clock. The clock_label variable sets the string to be displayed near the clock, the clock_tz sets the timezone. If you omit the value for clock_tz, local time will be shown. For a list of timezones see man timezone, or ls /usr/share/zoneinfo KEYBOARD ACCELERATORS
You may use the following keyboard accelerators while gsimplecal window has a focus: Escape, Ctrl+w, Ctrl+q: close the window j: switch to the next month k: switch to the previous month J: jump one year forward K: jump one year backward g, Home: jump to the current date These are not yet configurable, but I'm working on it. REPORTING BUGS
Please, report any issues to the gsimplecal issue tracker, available at: https://github.com/dmedvinsky/gsimplecal/issues AUTHOR
Created by Dmitry Medvinsky et al. SEE ALSO
tzset(3), strftime(3) 2012-03-26 GSIMPLECAL(1)