Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting taking a part of string from a given path Post 302363887 by ssuresh1999 on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 02:02:47 PM
Old 10-21-2009
taking a part of string from a given path

Hi
I have two path as follows

system/console/bin/code/sample/testfile.txt
system/console/bin/database/files/new/dbfile.txt

I need the output as
code/sample in first case
database/files/new in second case

That is I am omitting system/console/bin and the filename(s) in both the cases

Can you please help
Thanks in advance
Suresh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting the path part of an argument

Seems I'm inundating this forum with questions, but anyway: I am writing a script that should accept one and only one argument when called. That argument should designate a file, either with path/filename or just filename. Now to the difficult bit: I want to figure out a way to store... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking the end off a path

I need a script to be able to take a path such as "/foo/bar/thing" a put the "/foo/bar/" bit in one variable and the "thing" bit in another. I figured awk would probably be the best tool for the job but looking at the man page didn't seem to help. The only way i know how to use awk is with... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nat
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Taking a name out of $PATH

so here is my path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/a:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin how would I remove only the "a" or name string within it? any help appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking a part from file name

hi i have a file with name "CT_Thread_Trace.384.20080728-121217.log" i need 384 , can any one help thanks Satya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve part of file path

Hi I am trying to use sed to retrieve part of my html file's path. I am having a hard time getting what I want. Could someone give me some help? I want to retrieve the section after html and before the file name For example if I have the following, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger66
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to select last part of a path

Hi all, I am learning the use of regular expression and I would like to know which regex can be used to select only the last part of a directory path name. Something like: /dir1/dir2/dir2 and I want to select the last /dir2 where dir2 can be any kind of string. Thanks a lot for your help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elric
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do i use vi to substitute an expression that is part of a path?

Let say I have /home/user1/bin/ and i want it to be /root/bin I tried : s/\/home\/user1/user2/ but it can't find the pattern user1. I tried: s/*\/home\/user1*/user2/ as well same result many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00lsnoopy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking part of one file name and putting it into a another file name

Not sure how to do the following, but any help would be appreciated. Has to be done using C shell (sorry about that). I have about 300 files that I need this done for, but I am only going to give one example. I will just need to know how to execute your solution through some type of loop to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A way to print only part of directory path

Hi, So I struggled to find a solution to the following problem: I want to make sed print only part of multiple different paths. So lets say we have /path/path1/path2/logs/bla/blabla /path/path1/path2/path3/logs/yadda/yadda/yadda Can someone suggest a way to make sed or other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking out part of a string by matching a pattern

Hi All, My Problem is like below. I have a file which contains just one row and contains data like PO_CREATE12457888888888889SK1234567878744551111111111SK89456321145789955455555SK8888888815788852222 i want to extract SK12345678 SK89456321 SK88888888 So basically SK and next 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asfakul Islam
4 Replies
CONSOLEHELPER(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  CONSOLEHELPER(8)

NAME
consolehelper - A wrapper that helps console users run system programs SYNOPSIS
progname [ options ] DESCRIPTION
consolehelper is a tool that makes it easy for console users to run system programs, doing authentication via PAM (which can be set up to trust all console users or to ask for a password at the system administrator's discretion). When possible, the authentication is done graphically; otherwise, it is done within the text console from which consolehelper was started. It is intended to be completely transparent. This means that the user will never run the consolehelper program directly. Instead, pro- grams like /sbin/shutdown are paired with a link from /usr/bin/shutdown to /usr/bin/consolehelper. Then when non-root users (specifically, users without /sbin in their path, or /sbin after /usr/bin) call the "shutdown" program, consolehelper will be invoked to authenticate the action and then invoke /sbin/shutdown. (consolehelper itself has no priviledges; it calls the userhelper(8) program do the real work.) consolehelper requires that a PAM configuration for every managed program exist. So to make /sbin/foo or /usr/sbin/foo managed, you need to create a link from /usr/bin/foo to /usr/bin/consolehelper and create the file /etc/pam.d/foo, normally using the pam_console(8) PAM mod- ule. OPTIONS
This program has no command line options of its own; it passes all command line options on to the program it is calling. SEE ALSO
userhelper(8) AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Red Hat Software 18 March 1999 CONSOLEHELPER(8)