Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Batch command, and running jobs in queues. Post 302363884 by corrado33 on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 01:53:35 PM
Old 10-21-2009
Unix Batch command, and running jobs in queues.

Hello all, I have a quick question. I work in a computational science laboratory, and we recently got a few mac pros to do molecular optimizations on. However, on our normal supercomputers, there are queue systems, mainly PBS.

Anyway, the macs obviously don't have PBS, but I've read about the "batch" and "at" commands in unix.

What I want to do is create a batch file, with multiple commands in it (basically multiple job submit commands), and I want the first one to run immediately, and the second one to run as soon as the first one finishes.

I know that there are different queues used with this command. Accessed by the "-q x" where x is the queue you want. So technically I want to have two different queues cause I want two different jobs to run at the same time.

So I've made a batch file containing four lines that submit four different jobs, like so...

g09 model1.txt &
g09 model2.txt &
g09 model3.txt &
g09 model4.txt &
CTRL-d

However, when I submit it, I don't see anything running when I use the top command, like I do when I just submit the job without using batch. The command I used to submit the batch file was.

batch -q b -f batch1.txt

And I'm in the folder that "batch1.txt" is in. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a batch of print jobs

Hi Guys I have over 2000+ print jobs in one queue which I would like to delete. Is there away in AIX 4.3 that I can delete the whole print jobs at ocne. Instead of one at a time. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orvelb
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Batch FTP Command file

Hello, I am a UNIX newbie and this is my first posting. I need to create a batch command file to ftp from Sun/Solaris to AS/400. Here is an example file: ftp -d -i -n -v 172.28.16.22 pwd ls binary quit This is the result of executing the command file: Connected to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pietro
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit unix, but says running jobs

hi, i give a exit to the system, but it says that i have running jobs... so i do a ps and it displays two lines, one is a -ksh and the other is the ps which i am issuing... then i give a who -uH, find my pts.. then do a grep... still the same..... whats wrong.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a Script to run series of batch jobs on unix platform

Im new to unix shell scripting, I have to run batch jobs on unix. for example i have 5 jobs. first 2 can kickoff parallely. after completely finishing the 2 previous jobs the 3 job should kick off..once 3rd is over 4 th and 5th can kick off parallely. Each jobs run for 1 or 2 hours each. How to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venki311
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Message Queues vs. Sockets

If I use sockets for IPC, and can easily distribute my applications. UNIX Message Queues are local to the processor. As I understand it, Message Queues still incur system call overhead, just like socket calls. What advantage does a UNIX Message Queue provide versus a TCP or UDP Socket,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen29sky
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removal of at and batch jobs

I have created at and batch jobs. but it need to modified. Also as these jobs can not be modified it has to removed and reschedule. can anyone help me how to remove these jobs. using cron this can be done easily. but i need to do it using at and batch jobs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palash2k
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

commands to be executed in order for a batch jobs!

Hi All, I am trying to run this script. I have a small problem: each "./goada.sh" command when done produces three files (file1, file2, file3) then they are moved to their respective directory as can be seem from this script snippet here. The script goada.sh sends some commands for some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizlo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing different jobs as a batch process

Hi All, I want to process consecutive jobs in a sequence but when I execute 1 job ,the control does not return to the command prompt to continue with the next job. Can anyone help me here? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Taranjeet Singh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to check only Autosys running jobs with autorep like command

Hi, Is there any specific command to use to check only say Running jobs via autorep or similar command for Autosys? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Efficient UNIX Memory management for Running MapReduce Jobs.

We are trying to set up a single node cloudera hadoop cluster having 16 GB as RAM on linux machine. We are setting up 5.4.2 version. Now when we check statistics post the installation and run the top command we find that only 1 -2 GB is available. when we trigger map reduce sample job - no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketankirange
2 Replies
qterm(8B)								PBS								 qterm(8B)

NAME
qterm - terminate processing by a PBS batch server SYNOPSIS
qterm [-t type] [server...] DESCRIPTION
The qterm command terminates a PBS batch server. When a server receives a terminate command, the server will go into a terminating state. While in this state, the server will not allow new jobs to be started or enqueued. By default, qterm will request a "quick" shutdown of the PBS server. Other ways of shutting down the server (specified with the -t argument), and their impact on running jobs, are described below. The qterm command will not exit until the server has completed its shutdown procedure. In order to execute qterm, the user must have PBS Operation or Manager privilege. OPTIONS
-t type Specifies the type of shut down. The types are: immediate All running jobs are to immediately stop execution. If checkpoint is supported, running jobs that were submitted with "-c shutdown" are checkpointed, terminated, and requeued. If checkpoint is not supported or the job cannot be checkpointed, running jobs are requeued if the rerunable attribute is true. Otherwise, jobs are killed. Normally the server will not shutdown until there are no jobs in the running state. If the server is unable to contact the MOM of running job, the job is still listed as running. The server may be forced down by a second qterm -t immediate command. delay If checkpoint is supported, running jobs that were submitted with "-c shutdown" are checkpointed, terminated, and requeued. If a job cannot be checkpointed, but can be rerun, the job is terminated and requeued. Otherwise, running jobs are allowed to continue to run. Note, the operator or administrator may use the qrerun and qdel commands to remove run- ning jobs. quick This option is used when you wish that running jobs be left running when the server shuts down. The server will cleanly shutdown and can be restarted when desired. Upon restart of the server, jobs that continue to run are shown as running; jobs that terminated during the server's absence will be placed into the exiting state. OPERANDS
The server operand specifies which servers are to shutdown. If no servers are given, then the default server will be terminated. STANDARD ERROR
The qterm command will write a diagnostic message to standard error for each error occurrence. EXIT STATUS
Upon successful processing of all the operands presented to the qterm command, the exit status will be a value of zero. If the qterm command fails to process any operand, the command exits with a value greater than zero. SEE ALSO
pbs_server(8B), qmgr(1B), pbs_resources_aix4(7B), pbs_resources_irix5(7B), pbs_resources_sp2(7B), pbs_resources_sunos4(7B), and pbs_resources_unicos8(7B) Local qterm(8B)