Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Searching Problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching Problem Post 302363684 by Timmää on Wednesday 21st of October 2009 04:35:10 AM
Old 10-21-2009
Thanks zaxxon,

I search multiple diroctorys. and then the filename is given only when there are multiple files with this wildcard. I would like but generally each file matches the format printing:
DateiInhalt.

---------- Post updated at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:31 AM ----------

I searching a string in a file...and would like the console-printing:

FileContent e.g. file1HelloWorld

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for {

Hello, I am having a hard time trying to do the following: I have a file that looks like this: 0 CacheMaxConn 4 64 0 RMThread 16 3423423 7 DataSource 0 /hello/sas/ses 0 {94545B4-E343-1410-81E4-08000000} 3 DDBE 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotoruja
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching in VI

Hi, I would like to do a search and replace on a file using vi. Something like this: :%s/dst_port=****//g I want to search the entire file and replace all text that does not match dst_port=**** with space or nothing. In other words delete everything except for dst_port=****. The four *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Searching for a string in a text file problem

Looking for a bit of help. I need to search for a string of words, but unfortunately these words are located on separate lines. for example the text output is: United Chanmpions Ronaldo Liverpool Losers Torres and my script code is print("DEBUG - checking file message"); while... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: meevagh
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem while searching in a file by 'AWK'

Hi , i am writing a script in which i am using following command to grep some string and then storing it's output to v, as like below :- v=$(awk -F, '{ if ( $NF ~ /DEV/ ) print $0 "_BLD01";else print $0 "_RC01" }' mytest) Here i am facing following issues:- 1. it is searcing DEV in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inderpunj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching

How would i search to find all the lines consisting of of only the letter "z" followed by any four characters? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with searching and then editing a file through shell.

Hi, I have searched through this forum as there are many similar entries but could'nt get one of them to work, either that or they were just different to what I needed. Basically I have a file, recordsDatabase. In this file are a few different fields. There is a unique identifier eg 001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching

Hi guys, I have a very common issue :( im trying to work it out but I am still not used to it. my problem is searching. very often I should look for piece of string in a text file or a file itself: I want to learn some easy and professional commands to ease this routine for me. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the awk in searching the contents in a file

Hello all, I am a newbie in awk. I am struggling in this problem for a long.Actually I have two files, filea and fileb. File a is actually a search key through it I have to find the corresponding japanese tag from file b. filea contains the data like this: sm982882 sm1893548 sm2420025... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
3 Replies

10. Programming

Hsearch() problem when searching for strings.

I have written a code in C where the objective is to search for strings. There are two files: 1. Database file which has more than one billion entries. This file is read in argv in the C code below. The format of the file is like this: a.txt apple b.txt candle c.txt glue 2. There is another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)