Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password reset
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Password reset Post 302363317 by steadyonabix on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 03:58:09 AM
Old 10-20-2009
Password reset

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have cron change your password every month from an encrypted list of passwords?I have several servers I hardly ever go near but when I do the password has always expired and it takes a long time to get the administrators to reset it for me. I was thinking this may be a possible solution.Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Not receiving my reset password

Hi, I reset my password couple of times. On both the occasions, I get the message that the password is reset and it would be mailed to you. But I have never received the mail. Could you please let me know my password so that I can login. My user id is ranj@tcs. Thanks, Ranjith (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whyaskedhere
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

I would like to reset my password

Hi Moderators, I forgot the login password and am accessing the forum page through save form password credentials. Could you please reset my password ? Thanks, :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password reset not being accepted

Why would a password reset, a provided numerical value thru email, not be accepted when trying to log in with it? I have expired the 5 login attempts twice with still no acceptance. thanks for the help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: W.A.C.
3 Replies

4. Hardware

Reset ILO password

HI Guys I have forgot my ILO password for REDHAT Linux, Its Protriat HP server. I need to set new password for ILO without installing any RPM like "hponfig".... I need to set password in terminal. please give me steps to change the password waiting for ur replys (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
1 Replies

5. Solaris

ALOM password reset

Hi , How to reset ALOM/SC password for Solaris box Sun Fire T-200 Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password reset script

Hi all, I am using an command which reset the password for the user, its working fine on Solaris boxes but sometimes the samw was not happening on some of linux boxes. /bin/echo username | passwd --stdin username I am new to unix and shell scripting,so it would be very helpful for me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Reset Password

So my dad bought an iMac from my mom, but she does not know the admin password anymore. I read on the apple forums that I should look here for help on resetting the password. The iMac runs OSX 10.6.3. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PhsycoDragon
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

User password reset

Hello - I want to reset user password in multiple server via root ID. I have passwordless authentication for root between all the servers. I an use loop to reset the password. I am using below command in loop echo mypassword | passwd username --stdin However, if anyone sees history - he... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reset Password

Installed Solaris 11.3 Gnome Desktop It wouldn't let me log on at lock screen after first reboot. It finally relented and let me in after about 20 logon failures. How do I reset password now that I am in? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solaris User
10 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
PASSWD(1)							   User Commands							 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd - change user password SYNOPSIS
passwd [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The passwd command changes passwords for user accounts. A normal user may only change the password for his/her own account, while the superuser may change the password for any account. passwd also changes the account or associated password validity period. Password Changes The user is first prompted for his/her old password, if one is present. This password is then encrypted and compared against the stored password. The user has only one chance to enter the correct password. The superuser is permitted to bypass this step so that forgotten passwords may be changed. After the password has been entered, password aging information is checked to see if the user is permitted to change the password at this time. If not, passwd refuses to change the password and exits. The user is then prompted twice for a replacement password. The second entry is compared against the first and both are required to match in order for the password to be changed. Then, the password is tested for complexity. As a general guideline, passwords should consist of 6 to 8 characters including one or more characters from each of the following sets: o lower case alphabetics o digits 0 thru 9 o punctuation marks Care must be taken not to include the system default erase or kill characters. passwd will reject any password which is not suitably complex. Hints for user passwords The security of a password depends upon the strength of the encryption algorithm and the size of the key space. The legacy UNIX System encryption method is based on the NBS DES algorithm. More recent methods are now recommended (see ENCRYPT_METHOD). The size of the key space depends upon the randomness of the password which is selected. Compromises in password security normally result from careless password selection or handling. For this reason, you should not select a password which appears in a dictionary or which must be written down. The password should also not be a proper name, your license number, birth date, or street address. Any of these may be used as guesses to violate system security. You can find advices on how to choose a strong password on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength OPTIONS
The options which apply to the passwd command are: -a, --all This option can be used only with -S and causes show status for all users. -d, --delete Delete a user's password (make it empty). This is a quick way to disable a password for an account. It will set the named account passwordless. -e, --expire Immediately expire an account's password. This in effect can force a user to change his/her password at the user's next login. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -i, --inactive INACTIVE This option is used to disable an account after the password has been expired for a number of days. After a user account has had an expired password for INACTIVE days, the user may no longer sign on to the account. -k, --keep-tokens Indicate password change should be performed only for expired authentication tokens (passwords). The user wishes to keep their non-expired tokens as before. -l, --lock Lock the password of the named account. This option disables a password by changing it to a value which matches no possible encrypted value (it adds a '!' at the beginning of the password). Note that this does not disable the account. The user may still be able to login using another authentication token (e.g. an SSH key). To disable the account, administrators should use usermod --expiredate 1 (this set the account's expire date to Jan 2, 1970). Users with a locked password are not allowed to change their password. -n, --mindays MIN_DAYS Set the minimum number of days between password changes to MIN_DAYS. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change his/her password at any time. -q, --quiet Quiet mode. -r, --repository REPOSITORY change password in REPOSITORY repository -S, --status Display account status information. The status information consists of 7 fields. The first field is the user's login name. The second field indicates if the user account has a locked password (L), has no password (NP), or has a usable password (P). The third field gives the date of the last password change. The next four fields are the minimum age, maximum age, warning period, and inactivity period for the password. These ages are expressed in days. -u, --unlock Unlock the password of the named account. This option re-enables a password by changing the password back to its previous value (to the value before using the -l option). -w, --warndays WARN_DAYS Set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The WARN_DAYS option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned that his/her password is about to expire. -x, --maxdays MAX_DAYS Set the maximum number of days a password remains valid. After MAX_DAYS, the password is required to be changed. CAVEATS
Password complexity checking may vary from site to site. The user is urged to select a password as complex as he or she feels comfortable with. Users may not be able to change their password on a system if NIS is enabled and they are not logged into the NIS server. passwd uses PAM to authenticate users and to change their passwords. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/pam.d/passwd PAM configuration for passwd. EXIT VALUES
The passwd command exits with the following values: 0 success 1 permission denied 2 invalid combination of options 3 unexpected failure, nothing done 4 unexpected failure, passwd file missing 5 passwd file busy, try again 6 invalid argument to option SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5), usermod(8). User Commands 06/24/2011 PASSWD(1)