Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting diffrence in executing a shell script Post 302362974 by Scott on Monday 19th of October 2009 04:25:25 AM
Old 10-19-2009
There is no difference in how any of these are executed in that they all fork new shells.

Code:
cat Test
echo $$

echo $$; ./Test

The first one will run the script using sh, overriding what the shebang (1st line of your script says (i.e. #!/usr/bin/ksh)).

Code:
cat Test
#!/usr/bin/ksh
pushd

./Test
./Test[2]: pushd:  not found.

> bash ./Test
./Test: line 2: pushd: no other directory

It will run the script whether it's executable or not.

The second one will run the script from the current directory (./script.sh), overriding any other script.sh which is in the path.

The last one will run the first script.sh it finds in the path, not the current directory.

Code:
> ls -l Test
-rwx------    2 me     mygroup             21 Oct 19 10:15 T

> Test
ksh: Test: not found.

> PATH=.:$PATH

> Test
./Test[2]: pushd:  not found.

You missed one:

Code:
. ./script.sh

This will run script.sh in the current shell:
Code:
> cat Test
echo $$

> echo $$; . ./Test

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script is not executing

Hi, I am trying to execute the below shell script: script name(ss1). ss1 was given permission - 744 before executing. name: ss1 #ss1 #usage:ss1 ls who pwd :wq I tried to execute $ss1 (Enter) Its not executing.... It says that ss1 is not found: echo $SHELL. The o/put i got is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a Shell Script

I am trying to run a shell script using the ./<ScriptName> command, but the server returns an error bash: ./Script1.sh: Permission denied What variable do I need to set to avoid this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing uname through shell script

Hi, I need to write a shell script that executes the command uname -a the output i get is of the format : FreeBSD test.trial.machine.com 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan 28 14:31:56 GMT 2000 tester@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386 (this is all in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diffrence b/w shell script and perl script

Hi, Could anyone please tell me what are basic diffrence between a shell and a perl scipt i.e where to use shell scripting and where perl scripting? I want to know advantages of shell script over perl script and advantage of perl script over shell script. Thanks, Yogi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bisla.yogender
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

6. Programming

Executing shell script from PLSQL

Hi All, I have a requirement to mv a file in unix from plsql procedure. for that i have created a java host procedure, a host_command, given all grants as per ORACLE-BASE - Oracle8i Shell Commands From PL/SQL but i am getting an error ""Process err :/bin/sh: mv Not Found"" kindly let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aryan_styles
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script executing both the conditions.

I have written this script. This is used for creating a backup folder. #!/bin/sh #set -x . /home/.profile usage="Usage is $0" usage="$usage " # Use the getopt utility to set up the command line flags. set -- `/usr/bin/getopt b: $*` # Process individual command line arguments while ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/tme-0.8/bus/multibus:~/tme-0.8/bus/sbus:~/tme-0.8/dist/softfloat/softfloat/bits32:~/tme-0.8/dist/softfloat/softfloat/bits64:~/tme-0.8/generic:~/tme-0.8/host/bsd:~/tme-0.8/host/gtk:~/tme-0.8/host/posix:~/tme-0.8/ic:~/tme-0.8/ic/ieee754:~/tme-0.8/ic/m68k:~/tme-0.8/ic/sparc:~/tme-0.8/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucky7456969
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a shell script using sh

Platform : Solaris 10, RHEL 5.4, OEL 6 I've noticed that some of my colleagues execute scripts by typing sh before the script name sh myscript.shI always execute a script by typing the script name and typing enter provided PATH variable has . (current directory) in it myscript.sh (and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John K
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why we use -f while executing any shell script?

Hi All, I wanted to know why we use the '-f' option while executing script. in my case... abcd.sh -f any_evts 02 2014 abcd = Scriptname -f = dont know any_evts = Some file or string 02= month 2014 = year So in above pleas ehelp to understand here -f and other arguement like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajju
1 Replies
Test::NeedsDisplay(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Test::NeedsDisplay(3pm)

NAME
Test::NeedsDisplay - Ensure that tests needing a display have one SYNOPSIS
In your Makefile.PL... use inc::Module::Install; # ... or whatever else you use # Check for a display use Test::NeedsDisplay; # ... your Makefile.PL content as normal And again in each test script that loads Wx #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use Test::NeedsDisplay; # Test content as normal... DESCRIPTION
When testing GUI applications, sometimes applications or modules absolutely insist on a display, even just to load a module without actually showing any objects. Regardless, this makes GUI applications pretty much impossible to build and test on headless or automated systems. And it fails to the point of not even running the Makefile.PL script because a dependency needs a display so it can be loaded to find a version. In these situations, what is needed is a fake display. The "Test::NeedsDisplay" module will search around and try to find a way to load some sort of display that can be used for the testing. Strategies for Finding a Display At this time, only a single method is used (and a very simple one). Debian Linux has a script called "xvfb-run" which is a wrapper for the "xvfb", a virtual X server which uses the linux frame buffer. When loaded without a viable display, the module will re-exec the same script using something like (for example) "xvfb-run test.t". As such, it should be loaded as early as possible, before anything has a chance to change script parameters. These params will be resent through to the script again. METHODS
There are no methods. You simply use the module as early as possible, probably right after "use strict;" and make sure to load it with only default params. Specifically, need must always load it before you set the test plan, otherwise the test script will report two plans, and the harness will complain about it and die. # Use it like this ... use Test::NeedsDisplay; # ... not like this ... use Test::NeedsDisplay 'anything'; # ... and not like this. use Test::NeedsDisplay (); And that's all there is to do. The module will take care of the rest. TO DO
- Find alternative ways to launch a display on different platforms SUPPORT
Bugs should be reported via the CPAN bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-NeedsDisplay> For other issues, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2005 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.10.0 2009-01-04 Test::NeedsDisplay(3pm)