Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to test if part of a string matches? Post 302362725 by wolfv on Saturday 17th of October 2009 06:42:04 AM
Old 10-17-2009
Question How to test if part of a string matches?

How to test if the first 7 characters of a string matches "backup."?

This did not work:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
name="backup.20091122"
if [ "${$name | cut -c 1-7}" = "backup." ]
then
    echo name is a backup
else
    echo name is not a backup
fi

Thank you.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to create foder when the string matches

hi :) im actually new to shell script ,see here is the program wat it will do is .. i have to create folder at the run time when the string matches ... what to do is im havin text file which carry the file name like ( EngCVer1pg1j01.TOP, EngCVer1pg1m08.TOP, EngCVer1pg1h04,..and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maximas
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating folder when the string matches

hi :confused:sorry last time , b4 im drafting the thread i was unexpectedly posted the thread see here is the program wat it will do is .. i have to create folder at the run time when the string matches ... what to do is im havin text file which carry the file name like ( EngCVer1pg1j01.TOP,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Entire line if any part matches regexp

Hey guys, I have a file that I've slowly been awking, seding, and greping for data entry. I am down to pull the addresses out to insert them into an excel file. Each address is a few lines, but i want to put a semicolon delimiter in between each address so I can export the text file into excel and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cocoabean
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get line number when matches a string

If I have a file something like as shown below, ARM*187878*hjhj BAG*88778*jjjj COD*7777*kkkk BAG*87878*kjjhjk DEF*65656*89989*khjkk I need the line numbers to be added with a colon when it matches the string "BAG". Here in my case, I need something like ARM*187878*hjhj... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuraj K
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print only '+' or '-' if string matches (two files)

I would like to add two additional conditions to the actual code I have: print '+' if in File2 field 5 is greater than 35 and also field 7 is grater than 90. while read -r line do grep -q "$line" File2.txt && echo "$line +" || echo "$line -" done < File1.txt ' Input file 1: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bernardo.bello
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display text is string matches below.

I have not idea how I would accomplish this. I have a script that scans for CDP neighbours. I get the results in a file. I am interested in CDP Neighbor Details if name BSWITCH shows up. If BSWITCH is not present then skip. CDP Neighbor Details for 10.200.21.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
BACKUP_QUIT(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BACKUP_QUIT(8)

NAME
backup_quit - Leaves interactive mode SYNOPSIS
quit [-help] q [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup quit command exits interactive mode, returning the issuer to the regular shell prompt at which the backup or backup interactive command was issued to enter interactive mode. The command has no effect when issued outside interactive mode. Issuing the Ctrl-D command also exits interactive mode. CAUTIONS
To exit interactive mode, all jobs must be completed. Use the backup jobs command to list any jobs currently pending or executing, and the backup kill command to terminate them as necessary. OPTIONS
-help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command exits interactive mode: backup> quit % PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_interactive(8), backup_jobs(8), backup_kill(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_QUIT(8)