Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash:How to split one string variable in two variables? Post 302362157 by Amit.Sagpariya on Thursday 15th of October 2009 06:25:04 AM
Old 10-15-2009
Code:
#! /bin/ksh
PARAM=AB
tmp_PARAM_1=`echo $PARAM | cut -c1`
tmp_PARAM_2=`echo $PARAM | cut -c2 `
NewParam=${tmp_PARAM_1}String${tmp_PARAM_2}
echo $NewParam

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract from string variable into new variables

I have a variable which consists of a string like this: 001 aaabc 44 a bbb12 How do I extract each substring, delimited by the spaces, into new variables - one for each substring? eg var1 will be 001, var2 will be aaabc, var3 will be 44, var4 will be a, etc? I've come up with this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH split string into variables

Hello, I am an intermediate scripter. I can usually find and adapt what I need by searching through previous postings, but I'm stumped. I have a string with the format "{Name1 Release1 Type1 Parent1} {Name2 Release2 Type2 Parent2}". It is being passed as an argument into a ksh script. I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drd_2b
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split files by specifying a string (bash shell)

Hi all, I have a file of around 300 lines in which string "SERVER" occurs around 32 times. for eg. I need to split files like, for eg I am using this code awk '/SERVER/{n++}{print > f n}' f=/vikas/list /vikas/final But the problem is that it makes maximum of 10 files, but I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SPLIT STRING in bash shell script

i need one help.... if i have a string like aaaaa,bbbbb,ccccc,aaaaa How to to split the string and check howmany times aaaaa will be in that string? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthinvk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

On the command line using bash, how do you split a string by column?

Input: MD5(secret.txt)= fe66cbf9d929934b09cc7e8be890522e MD5(secret2.txt)= asd123qwlkjgre5ug8je7hlt488dkr0p I want the results to look like these, respectively: MD5(secret.txt)= fe66cbf9 d929934b 09cc7e8b e890522e MD5(secret2.txt)= asd123qw lkjgre5u g8je7hlt 488dkr0p Basically, keeping... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash assign string to variable

Hi ,I am trying to assign string to variable ,but it doesn't work Also could you show me different ways to use grep,(I am trying to get the first,second and first column form file,and I am counting the chars) let name=`grep "$id" product | cut -c6-20` (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: lio123
25 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash variable string declaration

Hello, Why is this not working in a script? files="test.fsa" echo $files for file in $files do if then echo "$file does not exist." fi run a command done I get an error saying (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string as variable(s) in bash

I'm trying to write a basic bash script that takes input you give (what directory, if any, what name, if any ....) and passes the information to find. I'm trying to just create a string with all variables and then pass it to find. So far I have this extremely simple: #!/bin/bash -f ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starting_Leaf
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign variables to CSV string (bash)

Hi guys, New to the forum, and been messing around with Linux for about a year now. I'm still very much a rookie, so just assume that I'm a total idiot: I currently have a shell that spits out a CSV number string of about 8 numbers as follows: 1.00,2.00,3.00 ... ,8.00I need to assign a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansol
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh String Manipulation - removing variables from within a variable

Hi. I'd like to remove all values in a string variable that also exist in a second variable. What is the appropriate approach to take here? I can use a 'For' loop and check each element and then populate a new string. But is there a cleaner, simpler way? E.g. I have the following 2 variables ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
19 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)