Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Output to a file in java
Top Forums Programming Output to a file in java Post 302361925 by c0mrade on Wednesday 14th of October 2009 11:19:26 AM
Old 10-14-2009
Output to a file in java

I wanna remove element from xml file, when I run the following code I get the correct output when I'm outputing to console but when I'm trying to ouptup the same code to a file I get the same / original xml file without removed element, here is the code :

Code:
import java.io.*;

import org.w3c.dom.*;
import org.xml.sax.*;
import javax.xml.parsers.*;
import javax.xml.transform.*; 
import javax.xml.transform.dom.DOMSource; 
import javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult;

public class RemoveBlock {

static public void main(String[] arg) {
    try{
      String xmlFile = "Management.xml";
      File file = new File(xmlFile);
      String remElement = "Physical_Order_List_Array";
      if (file.exists()){
        DocumentBuilderFactory factory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
        DocumentBuilder builder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();
        Document doc = builder.parse(xmlFile);
        TransformerFactory tFactory = TransformerFactory.newInstance();
        Transformer tFormer = tFactory.newTransformer();
        Element element = (Element)doc.getElementsByTagName(remElement).item(0);
//        Remove the node
        element.getParentNode().removeChild(element);
//              Normalize the DOM tree to combine all adjacent nodes
        doc.normalize();
        Source source = new DOMSource(doc);
        Result dest = new StreamResult(System.out);
        tFormer.transform(source, dest);
       // System.out.println();
       // saveStringToFile("emir.xml", "dsds"); -> write method
      }
      else{
        System.out.println("File not found!");
      }
    }
    catch (Exception e){
      System.err.println(e);
      System.exit(0);
    }
  }
}

The code above is working but when I want to change it to output to a file like : Result dest = new StreamResult(new File("foo.xml")); or Result dest = new StreamResult(new FileOutputStream("foo.xml")); its not working, any indications why ?

Thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lslpp output for Java package

Hi , in the process of installing HBA's(IBM 6228's) for AIX 6F1 which was recently upgdared to 5.3 ML1 after the upgrade lppchk -v output displays the following. >lppchk -v lppchk: The following filesets need to be installed or corrected to bring the system to a consistent state: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Student37
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpreting java output stream as system commands in Solaris

Hi there again, Running Solaris 10 with built-in Java. Seems to compile and run fine. Problem is: Say I want to see contents of current directory. In a shell, I'd just write "ls" and it outputs the content. When I write a Java file, I have the following line: System.out.println("ls"); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging Remote SSH command (cannot log a java output)

Hi all I'm creating a script that runs a few commands on some boxes and everything can be logged EXCEPT the java -version command, there doesn't seem to be any output... Can anyone help explain why this does not work? Do I need to do something extra to append the output from the java... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with call of Java Programm & return code handling & output to several streams.

Hello Everybody, thanks in advance for spending some time in my problem. My problem is this: I want to call a java-Programm out of my shell skript, check if die return code is right, and split the output to the normal output and into a file. The following code doesn't work right, because in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danifunny
2 Replies

6. AIX

Any file to differentiate JAVA JRE and JAVA JDK

Folks, Any idea of where can I find a specific file to differentiate JRE and Java JDK installed on AIX platform :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellcisco
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading output returned to OS from java program.

I am writing one shell script in which there is one Java program call. I want to stop execution of shell script ahead of java program if the java program returns 1 . How to read that value of java program from OS ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
3 Replies

8. Programming

Running java script from piped output

to run most other scripts through a pipe, something similar to the following is usually enough: cat script.sh | sh cat perl.pl | perl -- "<arguments" However, for javascript command line scripts, i cant seem to get this to work. Any ideas? cat hull.js #!/usr/bin/js ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Supress java error output to shell

Hello, I know this isn't exactly a shell script question but I'm not sure where else to post it. I am running a java program out of a shell script. There are times when I get an error like, "java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 22 at blah, blah at blah, blah ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
STAG-SPLITTER(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 STAG-SPLITTER(1p)

NAME
stag-splitter - splits a stag file into multiple files SYNOPSIS
stag-splitter -split person -name social_security_no file.xml DESCRIPTION
Splits a file using a user specified parser (default xml) around a specified split node, naming each file according to the name argument the files will be named anonymously, unless the '-name' switch is specified; this will use the value of the specified element as the filename eg; if we have <top> <a> <b>foo</b> <c>yah</c> <d> <e>xxx</e> </d> </a> <a> <b>bar</b> <d> <e>wibble</e> </d> </a> </top> if we run stag-splitter -split a -name b it will generate two files, "foo.xml" and "bar.xml" input format can be 'xml', 'sxpr' or 'itext' - if this is left blank the format will be guessed from the file suffix the output format defaults to the same as the input format, but another can be chosen. files go in the current directory, but this can be overridden with the '-dir' switch USAGE
stag-splitter [-split <ELEMENT-NAME>] [-name <ELEMENT-NAME>] [-dir <DIR>] [-format <INPUT-FORMAT>] [-outformat <OUTPUT-FORMAT>] <FILENAMES> -p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module xml assumed as default -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module -split|s NODE node to split on -name|n NODE field/element to use when naming files will use surrogate IDs if this argument not specified -dir|d DIR write files to this directory perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-SPLITTER(1p)