Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Help w/ save and executing terminal actions Post 302361514 by SofusGraae on Tuesday 13th of October 2009 11:24:50 AM
Old 10-13-2009
Question Help w/ save and executing terminal actions

Hey everyone,

Being new to the deeper levels of OS X and UNIX I am hoping the bright minds on the board could push me in the right direction.

On a daily basis I work as a CG Generalist (creating 3D for film) and I am using a 3th party render engine with my main 3D program (Autodesk Maya) which in order to render needs a license issued.

Normally I would have to go thru the finder to the directory of the render engine and then open the terminal and drag two files into it -
the first file being a UNIX exe (Called licserver "License Server") and the other a .dat file (license.bat) and after pressing return it would issue my license and I can render.

This was okay to do the first 2 times until it got rather teadious and knowing that there is always a smarter way of doing it I looked into issuing the license from within Maya.

The way I imagined doing it would be as following:

In maya I would use it's native language (MEL) to execute a apple script which contained a "do shell script" command that would do what I did manually.

My questions is - is this a feasible way or could I do a "recording" of some sort of what I've been doing in there terminal and save it as a executable file ??

Again as I am new to the unix / Terminal element of os x I am not sure what I am looking for so any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I am not clear about some aspect or you need more information on it just let me know and I will post what you need.

Thanks in advance.
Sofus

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

see user's actions from another terminal

I would like to know if there is a way to see what a user is doing from another terminal. I want to be able to see exactly what they see on their terminal. Is that possible ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: silver40
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple scripting actions

Hi, I am a beginner in unix shell scripting. I wanted simple information like 1- How to know what are the number of command line options given for the script file? 2- How to check if a variable value is interger or string? 3- How to use awk to replace value of a variable For example I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
5 Replies

3. Solaris

terminal output - save to file?

I have a window open on my ultra 10 - a terminal window connecting to a server. Is there any way I can log all output to this window to a log file on my ultra 10 ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Auditing User's actions

Hi all I hope to find what i'm looking for in this forum as said in the topic i want to track user's actions on the system. i mean also the action of moving or removing files. I have an HP 9000 with HP UX 11i. the users log on the HP from a terminal window under WIndows XP Thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timberland
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a script from CRON behaves differently than terminal

Hi have a script which transferers from Microsoft server to Linux box. The scripts(ksh) is on Linux box. If I run script from terminal, it transfers files to directory. Where as If I run script from CRON. It does not. Here is the log of both: Terminal execution log:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a shell script everytime the terminal is opened

the problem statement is Write a shell script, which gets executed the moment the user opens a terminal. It should display the message "Hello your_name, welcome to 172.16.4.120 server” How to get around this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to save and execute terminal commands in shell?

I frequently use some commands, which I want to save in some file say myregularshell.shthese are the commands I use, I tried saving and executing, but couldn't get the preview of execution, and result is also not coming if I copy same commands and paste it on terminal result is coming cd go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies
PMPOST(1)						      General Commands Manual							 PMPOST(1)

NAME
pmpost - append messages to the Performance Co-Pilot notice board SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/pmpost message DESCRIPTION
pmpost will append the text message to the end of the Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) notice board file ($PCP_LOG_DIR/NOTICES) in an atomic man- ner that guards against corruption of the notice board file by concurrent invocations of pmpost. The PCP notice board is intended to be a persistent store and clearing house for important messages relating to the operation of the PCP and the notification of performance alerts from pmie(1) when other notification options are either unavailable or unsuitable. Before being written, messages are prefixed by the current time, and when the current day is different to the last time the notice board file was written, pmpost will prepend the message with the full date. If the notice board file does not exist, pmpost will create it. pmpost would usually run from long-running PCP daemons executing under the (typically unprivileged) $PCP_USER and $PCP_GROUP accounts. The file should be owned by root, and group writable by the $PCP_GROUP group. FILES
$PCP_LOG_DIR/NOTICES the PCP notice board file PCP ENVIRONMENT
The file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for PCP_ variables. UNIX SEE ALSO
logger(1). WINDOWS SEE ALSO
pcp-eventlog(1). SEE ALSO
pmie(1), pcp.conf(5) and pcp.env(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMPOST(1)