Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing text three fields at a time Post 302361257 by Scott on Monday 12th of October 2009 07:24:19 PM
Old 10-12-2009
Code:
function my_func {
  echo x is $1
  echo y is $2
  echo z is $3
}

xargs -n3 < input_file | while read x y z; do
  my_func $x $y $z
done

x is decimalnumber1
y is decimalnumber2
z is decimalnumber3
x is decimalnumber4
y is decimalnumber5
z is decimalnumber6
x is decimalnumber7

Last edited by Scott; 10-12-2009 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: changed "my_func() {" to "function my_func {" for no particular reason, except I prefer it!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining fields in two text fields

Can someone tell me how to do this using sed, awk, or any other basic shell scripting? Basically I have two text files with the following contained in each file: File A: a b c d e f g h i File B: 1 2 3 I want the final outcome to look like this: a b c 1 d e f 2 g h i 3 How... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shocker
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data file picking out certain fields

I have a file that is large and is broken up by groups of data. I want to take certain fields and display them different to make it easier to read. Given input file below: 2008 fl01 LAC 2589 polk doal xx 2008q1 mx sect 25698541 Sales 08 Dept group lead1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and compare multiple fields in a column at the same time

Hi, Currently I am coding up a nasty way of reading file input using *cat* rather than *read*. My text input looks like TextA 100 TextB 110 TextC 120 Currently I am using cat |while read line to read the first column and second column fields. cat foo.txt|while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text

Hello all, I have some text formatted as follows Name: John doe Company: Address 1: 7 times the headache Address 2: City: my city State/Province: confusion Zip/Postalcode: 12345 and I'm trying to figure out how I could extract the data after the colon so that the result would be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgrailm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing iostat in real time

I'm trying to write a script that will parse the output of the iostat command in real time and place the output in csv file(s). I do have a programming background, but am relatively new to shell so I'm having difficulties determining how to proceed. The cpu stats will go into one output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastergrace
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text/number parsing

Hello I have a file that contains 10 rows as below: "ID" "DP" "ID=GRMZM2G015073_T01" "23.6044288292005" "ID=GRMZM2G119852_T01" "59.7782287606723" "ID=GRMZM2G100242_T02" "61.4167813736184" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T01" "6.63061838134219" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T02" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_novice
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields from class list files to use output with newusers command

Hello I am trying to develop a shell script that takes a text file such as this... E-mail@ Soc.Sec.No. *--------Name-----------* Class *School.Curriculum.Major.* Campus.Phone JCC2380 XXX-XX-XXXX CAREY, JULIE C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 JAC1936 XXX-XX-XXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text parsing

Hi All! Is it possible to convert text file: to: ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: y77
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields into variables

A record contains 50 fields separated by "~". I need to assign each of these fields to different variables. Following is the shell script approach I tried. RECORD="FIELD1~FIELD2~FIELD3~FIELD4~FIELD5~...........~FIELD50" VAR1=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut -d"~" -f 1) VAR2=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)