Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing text three fields at a time Post 302361250 by Scott on Monday 12th of October 2009 06:33:50 PM
Old 10-12-2009
Hi.

For the "three fields at a time" bit:

Code:
xargs -n3 < input_file

This should be shell in-specific.

What exactly do you want to do with the three fields?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining fields in two text fields

Can someone tell me how to do this using sed, awk, or any other basic shell scripting? Basically I have two text files with the following contained in each file: File A: a b c d e f g h i File B: 1 2 3 I want the final outcome to look like this: a b c 1 d e f 2 g h i 3 How... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shocker
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data file picking out certain fields

I have a file that is large and is broken up by groups of data. I want to take certain fields and display them different to make it easier to read. Given input file below: 2008 fl01 LAC 2589 polk doal xx 2008q1 mx sect 25698541 Sales 08 Dept group lead1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and compare multiple fields in a column at the same time

Hi, Currently I am coding up a nasty way of reading file input using *cat* rather than *read*. My text input looks like TextA 100 TextB 110 TextC 120 Currently I am using cat |while read line to read the first column and second column fields. cat foo.txt|while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text

Hello all, I have some text formatted as follows Name: John doe Company: Address 1: 7 times the headache Address 2: City: my city State/Province: confusion Zip/Postalcode: 12345 and I'm trying to figure out how I could extract the data after the colon so that the result would be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgrailm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing iostat in real time

I'm trying to write a script that will parse the output of the iostat command in real time and place the output in csv file(s). I do have a programming background, but am relatively new to shell so I'm having difficulties determining how to proceed. The cpu stats will go into one output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastergrace
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text/number parsing

Hello I have a file that contains 10 rows as below: "ID" "DP" "ID=GRMZM2G015073_T01" "23.6044288292005" "ID=GRMZM2G119852_T01" "59.7782287606723" "ID=GRMZM2G100242_T02" "61.4167813736184" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T01" "6.63061838134219" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T02" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_novice
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields from class list files to use output with newusers command

Hello I am trying to develop a shell script that takes a text file such as this... E-mail@ Soc.Sec.No. *--------Name-----------* Class *School.Curriculum.Major.* Campus.Phone JCC2380 XXX-XX-XXXX CAREY, JULIE C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 JAC1936 XXX-XX-XXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text parsing

Hi All! Is it possible to convert text file: to: ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: y77
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields into variables

A record contains 50 fields separated by "~". I need to assign each of these fields to different variables. Following is the shell script approach I tried. RECORD="FIELD1~FIELD2~FIELD3~FIELD4~FIELD5~...........~FIELD50" VAR1=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut -d"~" -f 1) VAR2=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
var ... DESCRIPTION
reads a single line from standard input. The line is split into fields as when processed by the shell (refer to shells in the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are more fields than there are specified var operands, the remaining fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are more vars than fields, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands affect the current shell execution environment. Standard input to can be redirected from a text file. Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is usually provided as a normal shell special (built-in) command. Thus, if it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment similar to the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment: Options recognizes the following options: Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Opperands recognizes the following operands: var The name of an existing or nonexisting shell variable. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Print a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line. while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
read(1)