Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing text three fields at a time Post 302361245 by weak_code-fu on Monday 12th of October 2009 06:25:43 PM
Old 10-12-2009
parsing text three fields at a time

I'm programming in csh and I have a text file with hundreds of entries seperated only by spaces. I want to access three fields at a time (as each data set has three components) so that I can send these values to a different routine as three variables until every trio of values in the text file has been processed. The problem is I don't seem to have permission to use the 'read' or 'open' commands on my system (they aren't in my path or I can't copy them into my path because of permissions).

I tried creating an array: set temp = `cat file.txt` but then I can't figure out how to iterate through the array to get three values from it at once without "read" or "open" in a while loop...help? Once again, I'm pretty sure "read" and "open" aren't being recognized as commands.

When I try foreach line ($temp) it only references each individual entry and not a full line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining fields in two text fields

Can someone tell me how to do this using sed, awk, or any other basic shell scripting? Basically I have two text files with the following contained in each file: File A: a b c d e f g h i File B: 1 2 3 I want the final outcome to look like this: a b c 1 d e f 2 g h i 3 How... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shocker
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data file picking out certain fields

I have a file that is large and is broken up by groups of data. I want to take certain fields and display them different to make it easier to read. Given input file below: 2008 fl01 LAC 2589 polk doal xx 2008q1 mx sect 25698541 Sales 08 Dept group lead1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and compare multiple fields in a column at the same time

Hi, Currently I am coding up a nasty way of reading file input using *cat* rather than *read*. My text input looks like TextA 100 TextB 110 TextC 120 Currently I am using cat |while read line to read the first column and second column fields. cat foo.txt|while read line do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing text

Hello all, I have some text formatted as follows Name: John doe Company: Address 1: 7 times the headache Address 2: City: my city State/Province: confusion Zip/Postalcode: 12345 and I'm trying to figure out how I could extract the data after the colon so that the result would be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcgrailm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing iostat in real time

I'm trying to write a script that will parse the output of the iostat command in real time and place the output in csv file(s). I do have a programming background, but am relatively new to shell so I'm having difficulties determining how to proceed. The cpu stats will go into one output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastergrace
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text/number parsing

Hello I have a file that contains 10 rows as below: "ID" "DP" "ID=GRMZM2G015073_T01" "23.6044288292005" "ID=GRMZM2G119852_T01" "59.7782287606723" "ID=GRMZM2G100242_T02" "61.4167813736184" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T01" "6.63061838134219" "ID=GRMZM2G046274_T02" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_novice
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields from class list files to use output with newusers command

Hello I am trying to develop a shell script that takes a text file such as this... E-mail@ Soc.Sec.No. *--------Name-----------* Class *School.Curriculum.Major.* Campus.Phone JCC2380 XXX-XX-XXXX CAREY, JULIE C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 JAC1936 XXX-XX-XXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text parsing

Hi All! Is it possible to convert text file: to: ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: y77
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields into variables

A record contains 50 fields separated by "~". I need to assign each of these fields to different variables. Following is the shell script approach I tried. RECORD="FIELD1~FIELD2~FIELD3~FIELD4~FIELD5~...........~FIELD50" VAR1=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut -d"~" -f 1) VAR2=$(echo ${RECORD} | cut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Getting the current time from a website and parsing date

I am trying to work on a script to grab the UTC time from a website So far I was able to cobble this together. curl -s --head web-url | grep ^Date: | sed 's/Date: //g' Which gives me the result I need. Wed, 06 Dec 2017 21:43:50 GMT What I need to is extract the 21:43:50 and convert... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allisterB
4 Replies
GOPHER_PARSEDIR(3)							 1							GOPHER_PARSEDIR(3)

gopher_parsedir - Translate a gopher formatted directory entry into an associative array.

SYNOPSIS
array gopher_parsedir (string $dirent) DESCRIPTION
gopher_parsedir(3) parses a gopher formatted directory entry into an associative array. While gopher returns text/plain documents for actual document requests. A request to a directory (such as /) will return specially encoded series of lines with each line being one directory entry or information line. PARAMETERS
o $dirent - The directory entry. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array whose components are: o type - One of the GOPHER_XXX constants. o title - The name of the resource. o path - The path of the resource. o host - The domain name of the host that has this document (or directory). o port - The port at which to connect on host. Upon failure, the additional data entry of the returned array will hold the parsed line. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Hypothetical output from gopher://gopher.example.com/ 0All about my gopher site. /allabout.txt gopher.example.com 70 9A picture of my cat. /pics/cat.png gopher.example.com 70 1A collection of my writings. /stories gopher.example.com 70 hThe HTTP version of this site. URL:http://www.example.com gopher.example.com 70 1Mirror of this site in Spain. / gopher.ejemplo.co.es 70 iWelcome to my gopher site. error.host 1 iPlease select one of the options above error.host 1 iSend complaints to /dev/null error.host 1 iLong live gopher! error.host 1 In the example above, the root directory at gopher.example.com knows about one DOCUMENT identified by 0 located at gopher://gopher.exam- ple.com:70/allabout.txt. It also knows about two other directory (which have their own listing files) at gopher://gopher.exmaple.com:70/stories and at gopher://gopher.ejemplo.co.es:70/. In addition there is a binary file, a link to an HTTP url, and several informative lines. By passing each line of the directory listing into gopher_parsedir(3), an associative array is formed containing a parsed out version of the data. Example #2 Using gopher_parsedir(3) <?php $directory = file("gopher://gopher.example.com"); foreach($directory as $dirent) { print_r(gopher_parsedir($dirent)); } ?> The above example will output: Array ( [type] => 0 [title] => All about my gopher site. [path] => /allabout.txt [host] => gopher.example.com [port] => 70 ) Array ( [type] => 9 [title] => A picture of my cat. [path] => /pics/cat.png [host] => gopher.example.com [port] => 70 ) Array ( [type] => 1 [title] => A collection of my writings. [path] => /stories [host] => gopher.example.com [port] => 70 ) Array ( [type] => 254 [title] => The HTTP version of this site. [path] => URL:http://www.example.com [host] => gopher.example.com [port] => 70 ) Array ( [type] => 1 [title] => Mirror of this site in Spain. [path] => / [host] => gopher.ejemplo.co.es [port] => 70 ) Array ( [type] => 255 [title] => Welcome to my gopher site. [path] => [host] => error.host [port] => 1 ) Array ( [type] => 255 [title] => Please select one of the options above. [path] => [host] => error.host [port] => 1 ) Array ( [type] => 255 [title] => Send complaints to /dev/null [path] => [host] => error.host [port] => 1 ) Array ( [type] => 255 [title] => Long live gopher! [path] => [host] => error.host [port] => 1 ) PHP Documentation Group GOPHER_PARSEDIR(3)