Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu rdiff-backup using escape codes on vfat thumbdrive Post 302361175 by mikemc on Monday 12th of October 2009 03:34:09 PM
Old 10-12-2009
rdiff-backup using escape codes on vfat thumbdrive

I thought it may be nice to use rdiff-backup to backup my websites to a thumb drive. But all the capital letters are substituted with octal escape codes. How can I over come this?

There are no issues backing up to another ext3 drive.

The source drive is ext3 the thumb drive is vfat mounted as:
Code:
/dev/sdd1	/media/thumbdrive vfat rw,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=000 0 0

Example:
original - SOLMETRA-FlashUploader_102
becomes - ;083;079;076;077;069;084;082;065-;070lash;085ploader_102

rdiff-backup -V
rdiff-backup 1.2.7

rdiff-backup command:
Code:
rdiff-backup --exclude-symbolic-links --terminal-verbosity 5 --include-globbing-filelist /home/mike/.rdiff-backup/sys_files / /media/thumbdrive/www

Ubuntu version 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu

---------- Post updated at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:12 PM ----------

Never mind use --override-chars-to-quote

thanks anyway

---------- Post updated at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:22 PM ----------

Still need help --override-chars-to-quote turns all directory and file names to octals. --override-chars-to-quote made it worse

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

escape codes

I did a search and found the link for escape codes,- but I am not sure how to modify this script to set the margins. I started with a script that was already written on my system to set a printer to print landscape. I need to send an report that is in an ascii file to multiple printers from my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using color escape codes in less

Hi all, Not sure how "for dummies" this question is, but I'd better use understatement... A. My Environment ============== I am using RedHat Linux, version 2.6.18-53.el5. When I type less --version I get: less 394 Copyright (C) 1984-2005 Mark Nudelman ... My terminal is configured... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Source2Exe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a using screen with rdiff-backup

Going to move this to another.. forum... please delete. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the best way to mirror a rdiff-backup to an external drive and persevere the rdiff history of

Whats the best way to mirror a rdiff-backup to an external drive and persevere the rdiff history of the local copy ? I was thinking rsync ~/rdiffdirectory /directory on external volume also if I did this... rdiff-backup ~/rdiffdirectory /directory on external volume ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
0 Replies
BACKUP_QUIT(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BACKUP_QUIT(8)

NAME
backup_quit - Leaves interactive mode SYNOPSIS
quit [-help] q [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup quit command exits interactive mode, returning the issuer to the regular shell prompt at which the backup or backup interactive command was issued to enter interactive mode. The command has no effect when issued outside interactive mode. Issuing the Ctrl-D command also exits interactive mode. CAUTIONS
To exit interactive mode, all jobs must be completed. Use the backup jobs command to list any jobs currently pending or executing, and the backup kill command to terminate them as necessary. OPTIONS
-help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command exits interactive mode: backup> quit % PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_interactive(8), backup_jobs(8), backup_kill(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_QUIT(8)