Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read and IFS
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting read and IFS Post 302361082 by raphinou on Monday 12th of October 2009 07:06:19 AM
Old 10-12-2009
Thanks scottn for the clarifications.
Any idea why read <<< behaves differently from echo "" | read

Raph

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the IFS variable

Hi all, Ok os heres my situation. I have created a database style program that stores a persons info (name,address,phone number etc.) in a file ("database"). after i read in all the values above, i assign them to a line variable: line="$name^$address^$phonenum" >> phonebuk as you can see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djt0506
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IFS variable

How can I set the value for IFS variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with IFS

hi, :) I set IFS=":" But when i try to echo $IFS,i am not getting any thing on the screen escept a blank line. any help pls. cheers RRK (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on IFS command!

Hi! I am working in korn shell. I want to reset the dimiliter for the set command to "|" but instead of a command prompt return I am getting something as below After issuing the command I am getting this....as if the shell is expecting something else. Can anybody suggest what's the problem. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding IFS=

hi i am a learner can some explain "export IFS=$(echo "\n\t\a")" i am not able to understand the functionality please help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use IFS in this scenario?

Given the scenario like this, if at all if have to use IFS on the below given example, how it should be used. IFS=/ eg: /xyz/123/348/file1 I want to use the last slash /file1 . So can anyone, suggest me how to pick the last "/" as a IFS. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop and IFS?

Hi, while ; do echo "Please enter " read enter yyyy=${enter:0:4} mm=${enter:5:2} dd=${enter:8:2} result=`validateDate $yyyy $mm $dd` When does the loop keeping repeating till?? till 1 is equal to 1? what does this mean "${enter:0:4}" .The 0 and 4 part?? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid22
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested ifs

hi I keep getting an error with this nested if statement and am getting the error unexpected end of file, can anyone help me as to why this wont execute? #!/bin/bash #script to check wether the -i -v statements run correctly removeFile () { mv $1 $HOME/deleted }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash IFS

I am using bash and resetting IFS as below when reading the command line arguments. I do this so I can call my script as in Ex1. Ex1: ./synt2d-ray3dmod.bash --xsrc=12/20/30 This allows me to split both sides so that when I do "shift" I can get 12/20/30 What I do not understand is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote while IFS

Hello masters of scripting, I've been working to develop some basic monitoring scripts. I have solved one problem, but want to know how to solve the other. I have a script that runs locally to create an output file with the Linux system kernel paramters, preceeded by the system name: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-jy] [[month] year] cal [-j] -m month [year] ncal [-jJpwy] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-Jeo] [year] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. -o Display date of orthodox easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as specified by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calendar for the month of August in the current year). A year starts on Jan 1. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian--Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. BSD
November 23, 2004 BSD