Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piping from BASH in to an Instant Messenger?? Post 302361012 by pludi on Monday 12th of October 2009 01:28:48 AM
Old 10-12-2009
I don't know if any messengers support reading messages from stdin, but luckily on UNIX (and particularly Linux) there's a library or script module for everything. Examples are the library used by Pidgin (libpurple) or Net::XMPP for Jabber/GTalk communication in Perl.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Messenger service?

Right now i'm about two days away from losing all my windows based computers....lol. So i need to know of a few good progs that will beable to communicate with MSN messenger...lol right now i'm still running rh 7 so is there anything that would work with that? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
8 Replies

2. Programming

Instant Messaging App Help

I was hoping someone could assist me on a text-based instant messaging client(using UDP) I am working on. I have the network communication basics already in place but, specifically, needed some further help on the "messaging other users" and "getting a user list" functions. The server code that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AusTex
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell piping

Hello all, I am new to bash. I am trying to get a sub string of a variable in a shell script. While trying to do that I get the following error: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ OHOME: /aaa/bbb/product/eee ./t.sh: line 6: /aaa/bbb/product/eee: No... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RockyC123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Instant client

Hi, Could you please tell me how to check instant client is installed in Linux server? OS -- Linux 5.11 Oracle -- 10.2.0.5.0 Regards, Maddy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
2 Replies
Net::XMPP::Debug(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Net::XMPP::Debug(3)

NAME
Net::XMPP::Debug - XMPP Debug Module SYNOPSIS
Net::XMPP::Debug is a module that provides a developer easy access to logging debug information. DESCRIPTION
Debug is a helper module for the Net::XMPP modules. It provides the Net::XMPP modules with an object to control where, how, and what is logged. Basic Functions $Debug = new Net::XMPP::Debug(); $Debug->Init(level=>2, file=>"stdout", header=>"MyScript"); $Debug->Log0("Connection established"); METHODS
Basic Functions new(hash) - creates the Debug object. The hash argument is passed to the Init function. See that function description below for the valid settings. Init(level=>integer, - initializes the debug object. The level file=>string, determines the maximum level of debug header=>string, messages to log: setdefault=>0|1, 0 - Base level Output (default) usedefault=>0|1, 1 - High level API calls time=>0|1) 2 - Low level API calls ... N - Whatever you want.... The file determines where the debug log goes. You can either specify a path to a file, or "stdout" (the default). "stdout" tells Debug to send all of the debug info sent to this object to go to stdout. header is a string that will preappended to the beginning of all log entries. This makes it easier to see what generated the log entry (default is "Debug"). setdefault saves the current filehandle and makes it available for other Debug objects to use. To use the default set usedefault to 1. The time parameter specifies whether or not to add a timestamp to the beginning of each logged line. LogN(array) - Logs the elements of the array at the corresponding debug level N. If you pass in a reference to an array or hash then they are printed in a readable way. (ie... Log0, Log2, Log100, etc...) EXAMPLE
$Debug = new Net::XMPP:Debug(level=>2, header=>"Example"); $Debug->Log0("test"); $Debug->Log2("level 2 test"); $hash{a} = "atest"; $hash{b} = "btest"; $Debug->Log1("hashtest",\%hash); You would get the following log: Example: test Example: level 2 test Example: hashtest { a=>"atest" b=>"btest" } If you had set the level to 1 instead of 2 you would get: Example: test Example: hashtest { a=>"atest" b=>"btest" } AUTHOR
Ryan Eatmon COPYRIGHT
This module is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the LGPL. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 Net::XMPP::Debug(3)