Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read a list of paths from a file? Post 302360946 by Scott on Sunday 11th of October 2009 03:16:45 PM
Old 10-11-2009
Hi.

I tried what you had in your original post, and there's no problem with it. (even on Solaris - where odd-awk-goings-on are known to occur!).

What shell are you using?

Are there maybe some hidden characters in your config file, or script (use the "od" utility to have a look)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List current paths of users

Looking for a command which shows the current path of other users. Similiar to the PWD command. Need to be able to see which part of the system the user is logged on to. Thanks G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gandalf77
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file, archive, and remove

I posted a week ago regarding this scripting question, but I need to revisit and have a few more questions answered.. User cfajohnson was extremely helpful with the archive script, but clarification on my part is needed to help steer the answer in a direction that works in this particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read from a file to a list

Hello there, I have a file that contents a list of email address, and each is separated by new lines. I want to read the first email address into TO: filed and the rest into a list and goes to cc field. I plan to use mailx to send the email. I inserted the email addresses into an array, but what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkgladiator
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with awk - how to read a content of a file from every file from file list

Hi Experts. I need to list the file and the filename comes from the file ListOfFile.txt. Basicly I have a filename "ListOfFile.txt" and it contain Example of ListOfFile.txt /home/Dave/Program/Tran1.P /home/Dave/Program/Tran2.P /home/Dave/Program/Tran3.P /home/Dave/Program/Tran4.P... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanit
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file with paths in it

Hi, I have a file as followed : 100.100.100.100 \\server\volume\path\file.pdf My script : counter=1 while read -r myline do if then FTPHOST=$myline fi if then SERVERPATH=$myline fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrankToy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat a list of directory paths only to a file

Hi! I would like to funnel a series of directories and subdirectories into a text file. This is the output I would like to see from a find command: /mypath/ABC_01/VISIT_01 /mypath/ABC_01/VISIT_02 /mypath/ABC_01/VISIT_03 /mypath/ABC_02/VISIT_01 /mypath/ABC_03/VISIT_01 I've tried: find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining file size for a list of files with paths

Hello, I have a flat file with a list of files with the path to the file and I am attempting to calculate the filesize for each one; however xargs isn't playing nicely and I am sure there is probably a better way of doing this. What I envisioned is this: cat filename|xargs -i ls -l {} |awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe8mofo
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read workstation list from file und run command

Hi, how do I read in a file which includes a list of workstations and then run a command for each workstation ? I am unclear which command to use to read in , or is this not possible ? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a lis, find items in a file from the list, change each item

Hello, I have some tab delimited text data, file: final_temp1 aname val NAME;r'(1,) 3.28584 r'(2,)<tab> NAME;r'(3,) 6.13003 NAME;r'(4,) 4.18037 r'(5,)<tab> You can see that the data is incomplete in some cases. There is a trailing tab after the first column for each incomplete row. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds (with a '.' character as a decimal point). This is a non- portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. DIAGNOSTICS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD