Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append zeros before a value as per variable Post 302360510 by ripat on Friday 9th of October 2009 06:58:48 AM
Old 10-09-2009
Hi,

Is this what you are after?

Code:
$ X=5
$ Y=123
$ printf "%0*d" $(( $X + ${#Y} )) $Y

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading zeros from a variable

How do I remove or add leading zeroa from a variable. To make variable 10 characters long when adding zeros. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: toshidas2000
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete trailing zeros from a variable

Hi All I want to delete trailing zeros from varible. ex: if variable value is 1234.567000 result as 1234.567 if variable has 1234.0000 result as 1234 if variable as abcd.fgh result as abcd.fgh Can somone give me a solution using awk? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chandu2u
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Variable and Append it to the file

I have a file named xyz_extract_file_20091201.dat and I need to strip out 20091201 from the file name and append this value as a first field in all the records in the file. Can you please help? Thanks. Eg. Input File: xyz_extract_file_20091201.dat ------------ Campaign1,A2347,Grp_id1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekharaj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable to only certain lines

Hi There! I'm trying to write a shell script which generates a random hexadecimal number and then appends it to the end of lines XX onwards of a certain file. XX is determined by a certain string on the previous line. Thus for example, if the input file is I search for the string... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add leading zeros in floating point variable

I need to add leading zeros in a floating point numbers. The length of the number should be 13 including decimal. The input number is changing so number of leading zeros is not fix. For example input output 216.000 000000216.000 1345.000 000001345.000 22345.500 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reeta_shri
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I append new lines to awk variable?

I want to build an array using awk, consisting only of a subset of lines of a file. I know how to have awk assess whether a key phrase is in a particular line, but I can't find anywhere how to then append the line containing that phrase to an array that has previously-found lines also containing... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pts2
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append to same string variable in loop

I want to append values to same string variable inside a recursive function that I have .. I do not want to write to any file but use a variable.. Can anyone please help with it? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 0 to a variable

Hi, I have a variable... it can take a value from 1 to 99... now when it is 1 to 9 i want to save it as 01 to 09 in the same variable... can this be done using sed or awk??? a=1 i want it as a=01 Thanks in advance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable value with sed

I have a requirement where I need to add a variable value based on a pattern match. When I try this it works: sed '/IS_ETL_DEV/a\ ABCD' File1.txt > File1.tmp Now I want to replace IS _ETL_DEV with a variable like $Pattern and replace the values ABCD with a variable $Var the value "$$XYZ=1".... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr

Hello, Can you please if the bellow is the proper way of appending a variable to the stderr: The easiest way to test this,I was able to imagine, was by touching 5 files and afterwards looping trough to the results: -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep 14 13:45 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies
variable(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       variable(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
variable - create and initialize a namespace variable SYNOPSIS
variable ?name value...? name ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is normally used within a namespace eval command to create one or more variables within a namespace. Each variable name is initialized with value. The value for the last variable is optional. If a variable name does not exist, it is created. In this case, if value is specified, it is assigned to the newly created variable. If no value is specified, the new variable is left undefined. If the variable already exists, it is set to value if value is specified or left unchanged if no value is given. Normally, name is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable is created in the current namespace. If name includes any namespace qualifiers, the variable is created in the specified names- pace. If the variable is not defined, it will be visible to the namespace which command, but not to the info exists command. If the variable command is executed inside a Tcl procedure, it creates local variables linked to the corresponding namespace variables (and therefore these variables are listed by info vars.) In this way the variable command resembles the global command, although the global command only links to variables in the global namespace. If any values are given, they are used to modify the values of the associated namespace variables. If a namespace variable does not exist, it is created and optionally initialized. A name argument cannot reference an element within an array. Instead, name should reference the entire array, and the initialization value should be left off. After the variable has been declared, elements within the array can be set using ordinary set or array commands. EXAMPLES
Create a variable in a namespace: namespace eval foo { variable bar 12345 } Create an array in a namespace: namespace eval someNS { variable someAry array set someAry { someName someValue otherName otherValue } } Access variables in namespaces from a procedure: namespace eval foo { proc spong {} { # Variable in this namespace variable bar puts "bar is $bar" # Variable in another namespace variable ::someNS::someAry parray someAry } } SEE ALSO
global(n), namespace(n), upvar(n) KEYWORDS
global, namespace, procedure, variable Tcl 8.0 variable(n)