Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A perfect number shell program Post 302360213 by methyl on Thursday 8th of October 2009 10:26:45 AM
Old 10-08-2009
Backticks ` ` are a different character from single quotes ' ' and are treated quite differently in shell. The command between backticks is executed by the shell, the command between single quotes is protected from the shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell program to find the sum of alternate digits in a given 5-digit number

Hi Can any one please post the answer for the above program.................. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: banta
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prime Number Program (Fun)

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has, or knows where to download a prime number finder program. I would like a fairly simple bash program, and also I would like one that could take advantage of multiple processors. I have 500 cores I can use, and would like to take advantage of them using a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kweekwom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of perfect text from file.

Hi All, I have a file of the following format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script producing error, Program to calculate maximum number

Hi folks, Here i have written a shell script to calculate a maximum number from 10 numbers entered on command line. max=0 echo Enter 10 numbers , one at a time for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do read n max=`expr $max + $n` if --- At this last step there is some problem, it gives error... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
5 Replies

5. AIX

I want the perfect user-interface

I've got an aix-box somewhere on the network and a PC on my desk. Nothing fancy so far. The PC is made dual-boot: - windowsXP with putty & winSCP or - slackware 13 with xfce4 installed. The aix-box runs DB2 v8.2 and I've installed db2top to monitor the database. db2top is a character... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_te_z
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh program that finds the lowest number in a .txt file

i am having a problem finding the lowest number after punching in a bunch of numbers in the .txt file but its probably the way i have the code set up. help please! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinsteer
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Resolving port number to program name

I was just checking to see if anyone had a script that would allow me to go from port number to program name. I tried to create my own script but it looks like it only works for IPv4 sockets and it looks like daemons such as sshd return as AF_INET6 (in pfiles) for some reason. I can fix my script... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you perfect my sed ?

I want to print only the lines that meet the criteria : "worde:" and "wordo;" I got this far: sed -n '/\(*\)\1e:\1o;/p;' But it doesn't quite work. Can someone please perfect it and tell me exactly how its a fixed version/what was wrong with mine? Thanks heaps, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maximus73
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of entries perl program or Unix script

Hi I have a file with number of entries name 1 123 name 1 345 name 1 65346 name2 3243 name2 24234 name 2 234234 so on ......... how to count total number of entries for name 1 and name2...and so on Please guide. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I use grep to grab prime number output from my factor program?

I have a factor program that runs and outputs to stdout all the prime numbers that are specified in the given paramters, in this case 30000000-31000000. Command: factor/factor 30000000-31000000 Sample output: 30999979 = 30999979 30999980 = 2^2 5 11 140909 30999981 = 3 10333327... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
6 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)