Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execution problem with sort the file based on contents Post 302359989 by patrick87 on Thursday 8th of October 2009 12:15:15 AM
Old 10-08-2009
Execution problem with sort the file based on contents

My input file:
>ali
ASSDDGHFHFHJFJHJDSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGDSGDSGSDGDSGSDGSDGDSGSDGGDSG
>zzz
ASdASDASDSADSADDSADJKHJDSADKLJADKLSAJDLJLKJLDASDDSADd
>abu
ASDASDFSAFASFSADFASDASDSADSADSADSADSADSADASDASdSADSADSADA
>aaa
MMMMASDSADSAMDASDSADSADSADSADSADDDDDDDDDDDDDDASDOIIEOUWIOEUQWIOEWQOEUWQIOEUWQIEOWQE

My desired output:
>aaa
MMMMASDSADSAMDASDSADSADSADSADSADDDDDDDDDDDDDDASDOIIEOUWIOEUQWIOEWQOEUWQIOEUWQIEOWQE
>ali
ASSDDGHFHFHJFJHJDSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGSDGDSGDSGSDGDSGSDGSDGDSGSDGGDSG
>abu
ASDASDFSAFASFSADFASDASDSADSADSADSADSADSADASDASdSADSADSADA
>zzz
ASdASDASDSADSADDSADJKHJDSADKLJADKLSAJDLJLKJLDASDDSADd

How can I do to sort (descending order or ascending order) the file based on the contents inside each header?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file extension based software execution

Hi Experts, I am working in HP-UX 11.0 workstaion. How can i make a file to be executed with the corresponding software to be invoked or executed. as in Windows. ie., if a file index.html has to be double clicked to invoke the Netscape Navigator. What i have to do to achieve this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anent
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script that reads/writes based upon contents of a file

Hi everyone, Ive got a quick question about the feasibility and any suggestions for a shell script. I can use sh or ksh, doesnt matter. Basically, Ive got an output file from a db2 command that looks like so: SCHEMA NAME CARD LEAF ELEAF LVLS ISIZE NDEL KEYS F4 F5 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines based on contents of another file

So, this issue is driving me nuts! I was hoping to get a lending hand here... I have 2 files: file1.txt contains: this is example1 this is example2 this is example3 this is example4 this is example5 file2.txt contains: example3 example5 Basically, I need a script or command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

move contents from one file to another based on line number or content

I want a script that will move everything beyond a certain line number or beyond a certain content word into another file. For example, if file A has this: first line second line third line forth line fifth line sixth line I want to run a script that will move everything beyond the third... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robp2175
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count values based on contents of another file

Hello, I have two files as shown below: test1 678 679 689 690 710 test2 1 678 654 800 676 791 689 900 I want to get a count of lines from test2 whose columns bound the values in test1 I tried running the code below; however am getting wrong results. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort data based on descending order problem

Input file 9.99331e-13 8.98451e-65 9.98418e-34 7.98319e-08 365592 111669 74942.9 0 Desired output 365592 111669 74942.9 7.98319e-08 1.99331e-13 6.98418e-34 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines in another file based on contents in a second file

Hello, I have a file with tab delimited columns like: File1 A 2 C R F 4 D Q C 9 A B ...... I want to grep out the lines in a second file, File2, corresponding to each line in File1 Can I do this: while read a b c d do grep '$a\t$b\t$c\t$d' File2 >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison based on contents

Hi I have 2 files 1.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 2.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1, 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 I need to compare the above two files in unix, as in the output should only tell the difference in contents as I should get only the line 1 ( from 2.del) , rest all lines are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ethen561
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep utility suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. It is usually used to schedule the execution of other commands (see EXAMPLES below). Note: The NetBSD sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds. This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits with one of the following values: 0 On successful completion, or if the signal SIGALRM was received. >0 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for 1800 seconds later: (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait half an hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (*.rawdata) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
at(1), nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
August 13, 2011 BSD