Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Quick help with UNIX commands (pipes and filters) Post 302359972 by corpsegrinder on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 10:21:39 PM
Old 10-07-2009
I attempted the second one, i got "ls -lt"

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is a filter ? WExplain any five filters in unix

what is a filter ? explain any five filters in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jobym
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Unix tee to send pipeline output to 2 pipes ?

Hi, I would like to process, filter the same ASCII asynchronous live data stream in more than one pipe pipeline. So the one pipeline should filter out some records using grep key word and more than one pipes pipelines each should grep for another key words, each set seperately for each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix- filters ppt

Hello.. i want a ppt on unix filters.. can anybody gv me d link 4 that?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shweta_babbar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiples commands between pipes and a single process

Hi I have this script: #!/bin/ksh cmd1 | cmd 2 |cmd 3| cmd4 which it creates 4 process.... Is possible to create a single process PID1 which include all commands? Thanks Israel (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick way to get earlier commands?

I used to use a linux system that would allow me to bring up previously-used commands by typing the first (or more) letters of a previous command and then hitting the tab key. It was incredibly useful. Now I've switched to using a mac and it doesn't work. Is there an analog to this for macs? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
3 Replies

7. Programming

C, unix, pipes, fork, recursion

Hi, I will try to keep my post as compressed as my title was. I am writing on pseudo code on a recursive function that I want to read from the one-above function-run and then give the result to the function-run down below until a stop is triggered. Example: $ ls -la | grep x | sort In my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarasque
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi quick substitution commands

I have a script that has quite a lot of these types of entries: hello=$(who am i) good=$(blahblah) what i want to do is replace the $( and the ) with `` so that they look like this: hello=`who am i` good=`blahblah` I tried this: :%s~=$(&&)$~=`&&`$~g (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)