Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compare two directories and copy differing files Post 302359906 by raaaaaa on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 04:52:17 PM
Old 10-07-2009
Compare two directories and copy differing files

Hello there, I'm a total noob to shell scripting. Smilie

What I want to do is compare the contents of Folder A and Folder B, and copy any files in Folder A that do not exist in Folder B over to Folder B.

I have gotten so far as:

diff -rq folderA folderB

which returns the names of the files, but I don't know how to do the second part of the operation.

Thanks very much, your help is greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files from two directories

HI, i want to compare one file from one directory to many files in other directory. means in my /DIR/20070930/b/STG* directory i have only one file and in /DIR/20070930/a/STG* directory i have many files. so i want to check the name of that files should be present in other directory or not ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi214u
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare all files under directories

Hello I am very new to Unix. I am actually using the C shell to write a program that will compare all the files in the directory and subdirectores and print out the ones that are identical, I am assuming identical by name or text Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ga.miami56
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare files in 2 directories?

Hi, I want to compare the content of 2 directories and list down both the duplicate and unique files from each directory. Tried to use diff but but not able to achieve the result. For example, DirA FileX FileY FileZ DirB FileY The desired outcome is Duplication: FileY... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andre_2008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare two files in different directories

Hi all , Can any one give me the solution for below query. I have two files . firstfile: xyz123 abc234 text2456 secondfile (\home\test) xyz123:ram ab34:scrit text2456:maven After you compare the ouput should the the common items in both files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare & Copy Directories : Bash Script Help

Beginner/Intermediate shell; comfortable in the command line. I have been looking for a solution to a backup problem. I need to compare Directory 1 to Directory 2 and copy all modified or new files/directories from Directory 1 to Directory 3. I need the directory and file structure to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rod
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare files in two directories

Hi All, I have two directories that has some files, some of the files are common to both of them like : ls -l dir1 file1 file2 file3 ls -l dir2 file1 file2 file3 file4 file5 Now i want to get the files from dir2 that are not present in dir1 (means i want to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files of 2 directories

Hi all, I have 2 directories dir1 and dir2 which contains many xml files. I need to compare files of dir1 with that of dir2 and if they match, I need to cut it from dir1 and paste it in dir2. I need to do this thru scripts. I'm currently investigating on the diff command. Please help me write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
folders(1mh)															      folders(1mh)

Name
       folders - list folders and contents

Syntax
       folders [ +folder ] [ msg ] [ options ]

Description
       The command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain.

The  command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory.	The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line.  This
       is illustrated in the following example:
	 Folder      # of messages (  range  ); cur  msg  (other files)
	   V2.3  has	3 messages (   1-   3).
	 adrian  has   20 messages (   1-  20); cur=   2.
	  brian  has   16 messages (   1-  16).
	  chris  has   12 messages (   1-  12).
	copylog  has  242 messages (   1- 242); cur= 225.
	  inbox+ has   73 messages (   1- 127); cur= 127.
	    int  has	4 messages (   1-   4); cur=   2  (others).
	   jack  has   17 messages (   1-  17); cur=  17.

TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders.
       The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder.  The information about the folder includes the term (others).   This
       indicates  that the folder contains files which are not messages.  These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under
       the MH file naming scheme.

The command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the command.

If you use with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder.  as shown in the following example:
       % folders +test
       Folder		# of messages (  range	); cur	msg  (other files)
       test+ has	  18 messages (   1-  18);	     (others).
       test/testone has    1 message  (   1-   1).
       test/testtwo has   no messages.

TOTAL=   19 messages in 3 folders.
       See for more details of sub-folders.

Options
       -fast
       -nofast	 Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information.  This is faster because the folders need not be read.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-list
       -nolist	 Lists the contents of the folder-stack.  No +folder argument is allowed with this option.

-pack
       -nopack	 Re-numbers messages in the folders.  Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps  in  the  numbering  are  removed.   The
		 default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder.

-pop	 Discards  the	top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value.  No +folder argument is allowed with this
		 option.  This corresponds to the operation in the C-shell; see The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occur-
		 rence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other.

-push	 Pushes  the  current  folder  onto  the  folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder.  If +folder is not
		 given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged.  This corresponds to the operation in the  C-shell;  see
		 The  -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence
		 of the other.

-recurse
       -norecurse
		 Lists folders recursively.  Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any  sub-folders  which  it  con-
		 tains.

-total
       -nototal  Displays  only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory.  This option does not print any information about
		 individual folders.  It can be suppressed using the -nototal option.

The defaults for are:

+folder defaults to all
	      msg defaults to none
	      -nofast
	      -noheader
	      -nototal
	      -nopack
	      -norecurse

Restrictions
       MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory.

Profile Components
       Path:		 To determine your MH directory
       Folder-Protect:	 To set protections when creating a new folder
       Folder-Stack:	 To determine the folder stack
       lsproc:		 Program to list the contents of a folder

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       csh(1), folder(1mh), refile(1mh), mhpath(1mh)

folders(1mh)