Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed & areas respectively sed & pyramiding Post 302359827 by Donaldinho on Wednesday 7th of October 2009 12:57:34 PM
Old 10-07-2009
sed & areas respectively sed & pyramiding

Hello everyone,

i wonder if someone could give me an advice regarding the following problem using sed.

Given ist a structure as shown below:
<aaa>text1<b>text2</b>text3<c>text4</c>text5</aaa>

Now I want to change the outer tag from "aaa" to "new" and replace all tags inside the outer tags using underscores:
<new>text1_text2_text3_text4_text5</new>

The text has different length, the number and the names of the tags inside the outer tags differ.
Example:
<aaa>text1<b>text2</b>text3<c>text4</c>text5</aaa>
or
<aaa>text1111<bbb>text2122</bbb>texttttt3<cc>text4</cc>text5</aaa>

Is it possible to do this using sed?

Unfortunately I am new to sed and this is too diffucult for me... Smilie

Thx in advance and greetings from Germany

Marc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk help...

I have a question. Take the following statement awk -F\| '{print $21}' testfile | sed 's/\//\\/g' > newfile This will grab the 21st column of a | delimited text file, replace the forward slashes "/" , with back slashes "\", and redirect the output newfile. Now, how do I get the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shimb0
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp & sed error

Hi, Below is a small piece of my Korn shell script - what i am trying to do is substitute all occurrences of the word given by the ${src} parameter with the word given by the ${dest} parameter in that particular textfile. But i get the errors below... for i in `ls... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: n8575
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, date and /&

Hi, $ echo 1 titi | sed -e "s/1/$(echo \&)/" 1 titi but $ echo 1 titi | sed -e "s/1/$(date \&)/" date: invalid date `&' titi how can i do for handle '\&' with date ? Thx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sncr24
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Sed & Awk

How do I grab the first 10 characters of a line and append it to another empty file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk

Hi. I'm going to learn scripting and i have the following topics on the list: sed, awk, shell scripting, perl. My question is, whehter i should learn sed and awk? Aren't this tools outdated? Although i see that GNU upgrade it's versions of these tools from time to time. And, the next... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, | ! & [ ^ in sed

Hi,everyone: I'm new to shell, and I'm confued with some script: ssum=`echo "$lsum" | sed 's|!|\\\\!|g'` line1=`echo "$line" | sed 's!\!\\\]!g'` line3=`echo "$line2" | sed 's!\&!\\\&!g'` sed "s^${line3}^${newline3}^g" ${TIER4FILE} > ${TMP_TIER4FILE} In the first three lines,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mycoy
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk & sed

Hi, Can anyone let me know the difference between awk and sed utilities in Unix? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed ( & )

I am searching for a specific pattern and replacing with ( ) for matched pattern .I am not getting the expected result ..... Here is the file cat test cool change Frinto Francis Frinto cool change Attitude /usr/bin sed 's/*/( & )/' test ( cool ) ( change ) ( )Frinto Francis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed pattern &

Hi, I can't seem to understand what the sed and & do.. Why is the set of numbers appear twice ? how the command really work ? echo "123 abc" | sed 's/*/& www &/' Output: 123 www 123 abc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Echo "abc" | sed - r 's/a/&_&/

I want to know the working of & here step by step using sed command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preeti07
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)