Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash, help with stdout manipulation. Post 302359502 by trey85stang on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 06:35:17 PM
Old 10-06-2009
bash, help with stdout manipulation.

Hey all, Im kind of lost on how to do what I want so I figured I would ask.

I want to pipe STDOUT of an app to a log file, but I want to prepend each line of that output with the date and time.

Im drawing a complete blank on how to do this?? Any ideas?

i.e.

output is currently this:

Code:
app is running fine.
synching db files.
corruption found.
blah blah.

to look like this:
Code:
01/01/2009 13:20 - app is running fine.
01/02/2009 05:50 - synching db files.
01/09/2009 22:20 - corruption found.
02/02/2009 00:01 - blah blah.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash file manipulation help

Hello, I'm writing a bash script and I have a question. Here's what I'm doing: I have a file called inv.dat which contains the following: B102:Action Figure - Teacher:79 B103:Bike - Purple:23 B104:Baseball:25 B105:Cricket Bat:15 B101:Action Figure - Fireman:15 B100:Flame-Thrower:25 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string variable manipulation

In a bash script I've set a variable that is the directory name of where an executable lives. the_dir=`dirname $which myscript` which equates to something like "/path/to/dir/bin" I need to cut that down to remove the "bin" so I now have "/path/to/dir/". This sounds easy but as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Witty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK manipulation in bash script

EDIT: This has been SOLVED. Thanks! Greetings everyone, I've posted a few threads with some quick help questions, and this is another one of those. I can't post enough gratitude for those much more knowledgeable than myself who are willing to give good advice for my minor issues. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eblue562
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

string manipulation in bash shell

Hi All, I am using a bash shell and want to the following thing. A process sends the following string to my script BACKUP_FAIL_REASON="Failed - Application Dump CDMACA-0:grep: /opt/nortel/ca/data/1245184/sd00/image1/S110907070708HIS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash string manipulation

Hello guys, here is my problem: I got a shell script which is called by an external piece of software, the external software is not under my control. The software passes data as an argument to my script like ./bla.sh 'service;1234567890;ok;hostname;some text here' I need to pass the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoogie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string manipulation

In my script I'm retrieving a parameter through an API call. I need to trim some things out of the result so I can use it as a parameter to pass to another process. I've got it working but it's pretty kludgy and I'm hoping someone can help me with a better way. This is the code that retrieves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash array manipulation

seeking assistance on comparing two arrays using bash: array1=(disk1, disk2, disk3, disk5, disk7, vol1, vol2, vol3, vol4, vol5) array2=(disk2, disk5 vol2, vol4 ) 1) if two arrays have same elements; EXIT else populate array3 & array4 with elements that are different between array1 & array2 as:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - file manipulation

I need to change a file like this: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com John Smith;http://www.profile2.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile3.com Frank Olsen;http://www.profile4.com Into: John Smith;http://www.profile1.com;http://www.profile2.com Frank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mkbootfs writing to stdout in bash script

Hi, I need to automate some repacking tasks of a boot image for Android When in command line, I can use this command: mkbootfs /path/to/root > /path/to/ramdisk-recovery.cpio;However, if I try to run the command from a shell script under Ubuntu, it fails and outputs to stdout instead of the... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil3759
27 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Performance question - Script to STDOUT

Hello Coders Some time ago i was asking about python and bash performances, and i was told i could post the regarding code, and someone would kindly help to make it faster (if possible). If you have noted, i'm on the way to finalize, finish, stable TUI - Text(ual) User Interface. It is a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
6 Replies
Mojo(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Mojo(3pm)

NAME
Mojo - Duct tape for the HTML5 web! SYNOPSIS
use Mojo::Base 'Mojo'; # All the complexities of CGI, PSGI, HTTP and WebSockets get reduced to a # single method call! sub handler { my ($self, $tx) = @_; # Request my $method = $tx->req->method; my $path = $tx->req->url->path; # Response $tx->res->code(200); $tx->res->headers->content_type('text/plain'); $tx->res->body("$method request for $path!"); # Resume transaction $tx->resume; } DESCRIPTION
Mojo provides a flexible runtime environment for Perl real-time web frameworks. It provides all the basic tools and helpers needed to write simple web applications and higher level web frameworks such as Mojolicious. See Mojolicious for more! ATTRIBUTES
Mojo implements the following attributes. "home" my $home = $app->home; $app = $app->home(Mojo::Home->new); The home directory of your application, defaults to a Mojo::Home object which stringifies to the actual path. # Generate portable path relative to home directory my $path = $app->home->rel_file('data/important.txt'); "log" my $log = $app->log; $app = $app->log(Mojo::Log->new); The logging layer of your application, defaults to a Mojo::Log object. # Log debug message $app->log->debug('It works!'); "ua" my $ua = $app->ua; $app = $app->ua(Mojo::UserAgent->new); A full featured HTTP 1.1 user agent for use in your applications, defaults to a Mojo::UserAgent object. Note that this user agent should not be used in plugins, since non-blocking requests that are already in progress will interfere with new blocking ones. # Perform blocking request my $body = $app->ua->get('mojolicio.us')->res->body; METHODS
Mojo inherits all methods from Mojo::Base and implements the following new ones. "new" my $app = Mojo->new; Construct a new Mojo application. Will automatically detect your home directory and set up logging to "log/mojo.log" if there's a "log" directory. "build_tx" my $tx = $app->build_tx; Transaction builder, defaults to building a Mojo::Transaction::HTTP object. "config" my $config = $app->config; my $foo = $app->config('foo'); $app = $app->config({foo => 'bar'}); $app = $app->config(foo => 'bar'); Application configuration. # Manipulate configuration $app->config->{foo} = 'bar'; my $foo = $app->config->{foo}; delete $app->config->{foo}; "handler" $app->handler($tx); The handler is the main entry point to your application or framework and will be called for each new transaction, which will usually be a Mojo::Transaction::HTTP or Mojo::Transaction::WebSocket object. Meant to be overloaded in a subclass. sub handler { my ($self, $tx) = @_; ... } SEE ALSO
Mojolicious, Mojolicious::Guides, <http://mojolicio.us>. perl v5.14.2 2012-09-05 Mojo(3pm)