Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing the new character with spaces Post 302359155 by Amey Joshi on Tuesday 6th of October 2009 01:48:07 AM
Old 10-06-2009
Data Replacing the new character with spaces

Hi Experts,

We are facing some while loading the "csv" file to target table.Some of the records are having values as :

HTML Code:
Account number,Name,Address
"123","XYZ","302 Street,Washington,US"
"456","PQR"," 3233 Some Street,
Washington,US"
In the above file instead reading only two records it is reading 3 records... Smilie
Is there anyway to remove the "new line character' and replace it with the "space".

Thanks in Advance!!
Amey

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing tabs to spaces from files

hi, I have some 50 C files in which for indentation of code some devlopers used tabs, but we dont want any tab used for indentation. I have following 2 need. 1) find tabs from all 50 files (which are in one directory ) 2) replace them with 4 spaces. Thanks Rishi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishir
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in replacing spaces in a file

hi all this is the part i am facing a problem eg data: filename : tr1 + T 40 this is a sample record in that file ... the value of T can be anything, but will be a single character. i need to cut from field two, and i am using this command cut -d " " -f2 tr1 >tr3 and the o/p is ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing the Spaces

Hi, i have a tab dilimeted file.The records are :header is having column names.I am facing the following issue : I want to convert the spaces only for header file into "_" in the unix shell but the problem is that if i use sed command all the blank spaces are getting replaced by "_". For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces and replacing value

Hi, I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor ~? ~ ~783.9 .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kelly woodburg ~nancy ~ ~? Now each row in the file has value for 7 columns with "~" as delimiter. The requirement was i)I need to erase the blank spaces between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing tabs with spaces

I want my program to replace tabs with spaces.1tab=4spaces.When i write aa(tab)aaa(tab)(tab)a(tab) it must show me aaxxaaaxxxxxaxxx. I think that my program works corectly but when a write aaa(tab)a it must show aaaxa but it is aaaxxxxxa.Please for help!!! That is my code: #include <stdio.h> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marto1914
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing white spaces in filename

Hi; In following code find LOG_DIR -type f | while read filename; do echo $filename; done I want to precede each white space encountered in filename with \ so that when i use $filename for running some commands in do...done,it wont give me an error. will appreciate ur help in this.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve spaces while reading character character

Hi All, I am trying to read a file character by character, #!/bin/bash while read -n1 char; do echo -e "$char\c" done < /home/shak/testprogram/words Newyork is a very good city. Newyorkisaverygoodcityforliving I need to preserve the spaces as thats an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing multiple spaces in flat file

Greetings all I have a delimited text file (the delimiter is ';') where certain fields consist of many blanks e.g. ; ; and ; ; Before I separate the data I need to eliminate these blanks altogether. I tried the sed command using the following syntax: sed -i 's/; *;/;;/g' <filename> ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing certain positions in lines with spaces

Hello, I have a file with hundreds of lines. Now I need to replace positions 750-766 in each line (whatever there is there) with spaces... how can I do that? Which command to use? The result will be all the lines in the file will have spaces in positions 750-766. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with replacing characters without moving the spaces.

Could you please advise what is the best way to edit a file without disrupting the spaces? For example: I have within my file the value below, wherein I wanted to change VALUE2 to VALUETEST. The total characters on the field of VALUE2 is 15 characters. VALUE1|VALUE2<9 spaces>|VALUE3 but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
3 Replies
HTML::Filter(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   HTML::Filter(3)

NAME
HTML::Filter - Filter HTML text through the parser NOTE
This module is deprecated. The "HTML::Parser" now provides the functionally of "HTML::Filter" much more efficiently with the the "default" handler. SYNOPSIS
require HTML::Filter; $p = HTML::Filter->new->parse_file("index.html"); DESCRIPTION
"HTML::Filter" is an HTML parser that by default prints the original text of each HTML element (a slow version of cat(1) basically). The callback methods may be overridden to modify the filtering for some HTML elements and you can override output() method which is called to print the HTML text. "HTML::Filter" is a subclass of "HTML::Parser". This means that the document should be given to the parser by calling the $p->parse() or $p->parse_file() methods. EXAMPLES
The first example is a filter that will remove all comments from an HTML file. This is achieved by simply overriding the comment method to do nothing. package CommentStripper; require HTML::Filter; @ISA=qw(HTML::Filter); sub comment { } # ignore comments The second example shows a filter that will remove any <TABLE>s found in the HTML file. We specialize the start() and end() methods to count table tags and then make output not happen when inside a table. package TableStripper; require HTML::Filter; @ISA=qw(HTML::Filter); sub start { my $self = shift; $self->{table_seen}++ if $_[0] eq "table"; $self->SUPER::start(@_); } sub end { my $self = shift; $self->SUPER::end(@_); $self->{table_seen}-- if $_[0] eq "table"; } sub output { my $self = shift; unless ($self->{table_seen}) { $self->SUPER::output(@_); } } If you want to collect the parsed text internally you might want to do something like this: package FilterIntoString; require HTML::Filter; @ISA=qw(HTML::Filter); sub output { push(@{$_[0]->{fhtml}}, $_[1]) } sub filtered_html { join("", @{$_[0]->{fhtml}}) } SEE ALSO
HTML::Parser COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1997-1999 Gisle Aas. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 HTML::Filter(3)