Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove first line from a file and put into another file Post 302359113 by rdcwayx on Monday 5th of October 2009 09:54:41 PM
Old 10-05-2009
Code:
sed -n 1p urfile > first_line.file

sed -n '2,$'p urfile > rest_lines.file

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

put a semicolon at the end of each line of a file

hi, Consider there is a file containing 200 lines. please let me know which command is to be used to put a semicolon at the end of each line. if no single command is there then how it can be achieved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: surjyap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file in shell and put result in a line

Hi All, I have a to read a file and put the result in one line. The i am reading from contain the data like below. 1 signifies the beging of the new line. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lottiem
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line based on string and put new line with parameter

Hi Folks, I am new to ksh, i have informatica parameter file that i need to update everyday with shell script. i need your help updating this file with new parameters. sample data $$TABLE1_DATE=04-27-2011 $$TABLE2_DATE=04-23-2011 $$TABLE3_DATE=03-19-2011 .......Highligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to remove 1st line of a file and save the file with same old name

Hi friends, I have a doubt, I am not sure whether it is possible ah nu. I am having a file(sample.txt) which contain 5 lines. I want to remove 1st line in the file and save the file with same old name (sample.txt). For removing 1st line i am using sed 1d filename But dono how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put a # in start of a specific line of a file

Hello Guys Please let me know how to solve the below issue I have a file like below drop table R1416.ABC1 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC2 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC3 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC4 cascade constraints; drop table R1416.ABC5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read value of a file, remove first 2 chars and put this value in a variable

Hi i have need of read a file value with cat command and remove first 2character for example cat /sys/class/rtc/day 0x12 Remove char 12 And put this value in a variable is possible with a script thanks for help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enaud
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two CSV files and put the difference in third file with line no,field no and diff value.

I am having two csv files i need to compare these files and the output file should have the information of the differences at the field level. For Example, File 1: A,B,C,D,E,F 1,2,3,4,5,6 File 2: A,C,B,D,E,F 1,2,4,5,5,6 out put file: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: karingulanagara
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file and read file line by line

I have a file output.txt. File looks like this name1 10 name2 2 name3 5 I get a number n and I need to remove all lines which has number (after name) smaller or equal to n number. After that I need to write lines from file and my output must be like this: Output: 'name1 10' Output: 'name2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kubo12312
1 Replies
fwtmp(1M)																 fwtmp(1M)

NAME
fwtmp, wtmpfix - manipulate connect accounting records SYNOPSIS
[files] DESCRIPTION
fwtmp reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output, converting binary records of the type found in to formatted ASCII records. The ASCII version is useful to enable editing, via ed(1), bad records or for general purpose maintenance of the file. The argument is used to denote that input is in ASCII form, and output is to be written in binary form. The arguments and are independent, respectively specifying ASCII input and binary output. Therefor, is an ASCII to ASCII copy and is a binary to binary copy. should be used for reading If is not used, structure is read. wtmpfix examines the standard input or named files in format, corrects the time/date stamps to make the entries consistent, and writes to the stan- dard output. A can be used in place of files to indicate the standard input. If time/date corrections are not performed, will fault when it encounters certain date-change records. Each time the date is set, a pair of date change records is written to The first record is the old date denoted by the string old time placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field of the structure. The second record specifies the new date, and is denoted by the string placed in the line field and the flag placed in the type field. uses these records to synchronize all time stamps in the file. nullifies date change records when writing to the standard output by setting the time field of the structure in the old date change record equal to the time field in the new date change record. This prevents and from factoring in a date change record pair more than once. In addition to correcting time/date stamps, wtmpfix checks the validity of the name field to ensure that it consists solely of alphanumeric characters or spaces. If it encounters a name that is considered invalid, it changes the login name to and writes a diagnostic to the standard error. This minimizes the risk that will fail when processing connect accounting records. DIAGNOSTICS
wtmpfix generates the following diagnostics messages: WARNINGS
generates no errors, even on garbage input. FILES
SEE ALSO
ed(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctcon(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), acct(4), utmp(4), wtmps(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fwtmp(1M)