Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use the same perl script with several different variables Post 302358475 by smartin114 on Friday 2nd of October 2009 04:47:15 PM
Old 10-02-2009
Use the same perl script with several different variables

I'm new to perl and have to create these files for my job. I have a script that I can run that will create the file, but I have to manually pass the variables to it. It is dumb and it takes a lot of time. I want to be able to pass the existing perl script a set of variables (the same variables with different values) over and over again, until it runs through them.

Basically, I want to keep a file with the variables:

$variable1
$variable2
$variable3
run script with these > output to a file

$variable1
$variable2
$variable3
run script with these > output to a file

Anyone willing to give a newbie some help?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing variables declared in another perl script

Hi all, I have a perl script which declares two variables and calls another perl script which accesses those variables. But I am unable to access the variables in the called script. My script is as follows: my $ENV{a}="20"; system("perl called.pl"); and my called.pl contains: print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help passing variables in shell script to perl one-liner

I'm writing a script to automate some post-install tasks on RHEL4 servers. I need the following code to insert an 'A' in the middle of a string, then replace the string in a file. I know I can use sed to do this, but I'd like to use perl's in place edit so I don't have to write to a temp file,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xek
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Variables in Perl

Hi. I have three arrays. @a=('AB','CD','EF'); @b=('AB,'DG',HK'); @c=('DD','TT','MM'); I want to compare the elements of the first two array and if they match then so some substition. I tried using the if statement using the scalar value of the array but its not giving me any output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass perl variables to shell script

I have a perl script that opens a text file containing numbers on each line: for example: 755993 755994 755995 755996 755997 755998 The perl script takes these numbers and store them as an array @raw_data, where I can access individual numbers by using $raw_data for the value 755993.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xchen89x
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variables in perl not working

sdcprd@dotstoas110:$ echo $F2 1327332411 this works ---------- sdcprd@dotstoas110:$ perl -MPOSIX -le 'print strftime ("%m%d%y",localtime (1327332411))' 012312 <<<< correct date this doesnt ----------- sdcprd@dotstoas110:$ perl -MPOSIX -le 'print strftime ("%m%d%y",localtime... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliyesami
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in perl

I don't fully understand variables in perl. If we have a variable defined like this "my $number = 1" then this is called a lexical variable? But if you define this at the top of a script then why isn't it a global variable because it would be available throughout the file? Sorry if this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: P3rl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excuting perl script from within a perl script with variables.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here, but I can print the list with no issue. Just a blank screen with the 'do'. #!/usr/bin/perl open FILE, "upslist.txt"; while ($line=<FILE>){ if ($line=~/^(.*?),(.*?)$/){ #print "ups:$1 string:$2\n"; do 'check_snmp_mgeups-0.1.pl -H $1 -C $2'; } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variables in perl script

Hi Chaps, Im after some advise with a script i've written however doesnt appear to work how I would like. Basically I have a perl script which sucessfully pulls an expect script to login to multiple nodes and obtain some output from the nodes (total number of nat ports that are in use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
0 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
INN::Config(3pm)					    InterNetNews Documentation						  INN::Config(3pm)

NAME
INN::Config - Export all the variables an INN Perl script might need DESCRIPTION
This Perl module sets up any and all the variables that an INN Perl script might need. More particularly, it allows to use inn.conf variables: they are all provided by innconfval, as well as the version of INN (in the variable $INN::Config::VERSION for its short number form, on in $INN::Config::version for its complete form). Other useful variables are also provided (directories, files, programs, masks, parameters). The complete list can be obtained with the following script that prints them out: use lib '<pathnews>/lib/perl'; use INN::Config; use Data::Dumper; my ($varname, $value); foreach my $var (@INN::Config::EXPORT_OK) { if ($var =~ /^$(.*)$/) { $varname = "INN::Config::$1"; $value = Dumper($$varname); $value =~ s/^$VAR1 = //; print "$$varname = $value"; } elsif ($var =~ /^@(.*)$/) { $varname = "INN::Config::$1"; $value = Dumper(@$varname); $value =~ s/^$VAR1 = //; print "@$varname = $value"; } } A local Perl script named innshellvars.pl.local in pathetc will be loaded, if present and executable, at the end of the run of this module. A typical use is to add or override variables. You only have to declare the module at the beginning of them: use lib '<pathnews>/lib/perl'; use INN::Config; Then, you can for instance use: print $INN::Config::localmaxartsize; to print the value of localmaxartsize as it is set in inn.conf. You can also specify a version when you import the module. If you write: use INN::Config 2.5.0; only versions of INN superior to 2.5.0 will be able to run the Perl script. It is also possible to import the variables directly in your namespace if you specify what you want to import: use INN::Config qw($localmaxartsize $pathbin); Note that a legacy innshellvars.pl is also provided in pathnews/lib for compatibility reasons with old Perl scripts not shipped with INN. It was used by versions of INN anterior to 2.5.0. The corresponding scripts for Shell and Tcl are, however, still in use: innshellvars and innshellvars.tcl. They offer the same capabilities as this module. HISTORY
innshellvars.pl was written by James Brister <brister@vix.com> for InterNetNews in 1996. It was converted to the INN::Config Perl module by Julien Elie in 2007. $Id: Config.pm.in 9311 2011-08-06 20:18:42Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
inn.conf(5), innconfval(1), perl(1). INN 2.5.3 2011-08-22 INN::Config(3pm)