Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting error in file writing in crontab Post 302358458 by capri_drm on Friday 2nd of October 2009 03:26:43 PM
Old 10-02-2009
I tried to run the same script as higher id ( id added to sudoer file ) and that works fine .
It worked when i had /tmp as the path before i wrote the full path too .

Thanks , it works now Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing to Standard Error

Hi. I'm working on a project for a class, and there's one part of the project that is confusing me. It's a compression and decompression project, and after we write our code for compression, we need to write to standard error. (1) Size of original file (number of characters read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sjung10
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab error Cannot execute binary file.

Anyone can help me ? I try to using crontab with a simple shell script as echo it run okay but now i have more command in script. when I set entry to crontab and whe it run i get mail with error cannot execute binary file. it urgent so please help me the soutions. Thank so much for your help.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raccsdl
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl file in Crontab error.

Hi. I can run the script okay when I log in with root. Then I add this script to crontab and when crontab run i got this message error. I has installed DBD for Oracle already. I set ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE to root profile already. Please help me to fix it. It urgent. Thank so much. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raccsdl
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing to standard error

Hi, I want to redirect the standard output to standard error whenever an error occurs for ex if then echo right else echo wrong fi I want to redirect the wrong to stderror .Adding a line 1>&2 will do that or is additional code to be added.How can i verify whether the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab Error - creating zero byte log file

Hi, I am trying to run a shell script using the crontab scheduler, and I am redirecting the log of the script output to some temp log file using the following command. sh somescript.sh 1> /location/somefile.log Evrytime the cronjob triggers this script, It creates a zero byte file in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

DVD writing I/O Error on HP-UX

Hello, when I executed this command: root@server:/opt/ignite/lbinia> growisofs -Z /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0=/PA.iso I get the following output and error: Executing 'builtin_dd if=/PA.iso of=/dev/rscsi/c1t2l0 obs=32k seek=0' :-: I/O error Anyone have any idea what is happeneing? Here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

8. Programming

Getting compilation error while writing standalone for ddi_get8

Hi All, I have already posted a thread regarding ddi_regs_map_setup solaris system call guidance. https://www.unix.com/programming/171907-need-guidance-using-ddi_regs_map_setup-solaris-system-call.html I am writing a standalone to use this system call. Below is my partial standalone... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayrajen
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

while writing the script getting an error

while writing a script m not able to convert string into a number therefore it is not picking the write if condition pls help #!/bin/sh echo "this game is about selecting number and getting lucky" echo " the number are 1 2 3 4 5 and 0 to exit" read $a1 if ; then echo "NUMBER... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripudaman.singh
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)