Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to check if a file has zero records Post 302358057 by pravin27 on Thursday 1st of October 2009 08:40:23 AM
Old 10-01-2009
hi,

Code:
[ -s "$file_name" ] && echo "non zero length" || echo "zero lenght"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check valid records in really big file with one commend..

Hi, I have a 5 gig file, no record terminators, field terminators are newline. The record length is 768 and I would like to check that every 768th byte is a newline and print out the byte position if it isn't. I would like to do this going either forward or backwards with one command if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtischuk@yahoo.
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check field value from a file records

I need a script to check the records in a file , if any value match transfer the record in error.txt file. 1- If any of the any field value is NULL(nothing in this field) Record1|Record2|Record3|Record4|Record5|DATE1|DATE2 Example: 11111111|22222222|NULL|12|444|27042018|27042018... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
8 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::Modules::ProhibitConditionalUseStaUsernContributed Perl DoPerl::Critic::Policy::Modules::ProhibitConditionalUseStatements(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::Modules::ProhibitConditionalUseStatements - Avoid putting conditional logic around compile-time includes. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Modules included via "use" are loaded at compile-time. Placing conditional logic around the "use" statement has no effect on whether the module will be loaded. Doing so can also serve to confuse the reader as to the author's original intent. If you need to conditionally load a module you should be using "require" instead. This policy will catch the following forms of conditional "use" statements: # if-elsif-else if ($a == 1) { use Module; } if ($a == 1) { } elsif ($a == 2) { use Module; } if ($a == 1) { } else { use Module; } # for/foreach for (1..$a) { use Module; } foreach (@a) { use Module; } # while while ($a == 1) { use Module; } # unless unless ($a == 1) { use Module; } # until until ($a == 1) { use Module; } # do-condition do { use Module; } if $a == 1; do { use Module; } while $a == 1; do { use Module; } unless $a == 1; do { use Module; } until $a == 1; # operator-do $a == 1 || do { use Module; }; $a == 1 && do { use Module; }; $a == 1 or do { use Module; }; $a == 1 and do { use Module; }; # non-string eval eval { use Module; }; Including a module via "use" in bare blocks, standalone do blocks, or string evals is allowed. # bare block { use Module; } # do do { use Module; } # string eval eval "use Module"; CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. AUTHOR
Peter Guzis <pguzis@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Peter Guzis. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::Modules::ProhibitConditionalUseStatements(3)