Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers creating a command and sorting??? Post 302357870 by jorogon0099 on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 10:34:21 PM
Old 09-30-2009
creating a command and sorting???

How do you write a command line that displays the number of files in the working directory with names that end with the letter S? Thanks

---------- Post updated at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:33 PM ----------

for unix sorry

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

comm command in sorting IP

i have 2 files that contains a sorted list of IP addresses. file_A contains a list of all IPs file_B contains only around 50% of what is in file_A. I tried to execute comm -23 file_A file_B > file_C to get the difference. My objective is to put all the IPs that are in file_A but not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tads98
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in sorting echo command

Hi, I have a simple question on bash. If i printed out something like below echo -e $q"\t\t\t"$r"\t\t\t"$s"\t\t\t"$u"\t\t\t" |sort -r >>test.txt It cant able to sort the $q value. I tried on -nr option but still the same. For your info, the $q value is actually a floating point. I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Top Command and sorting by CPU Usage

Ok, so I am using the Top command on my linux VPS to try and see the processes using the most CPU %. I hit the P to sort by CPU % but it wants to sort them from lowest to highest (ascending). My Telnet-SSH screen is only about 60 rows high so the processes with the highest CPU % usage are at the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davemehta
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Data Sorting Command

Hi, I have a problem on data sorting, example my file as below: 123 123/789 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 112 112/123 aaa bbb ccc (ade) 102 1a3/7g9 (adf)03 110 12b/129 aaa bbb ccc ddd fff(a8f)03 117 42f/8c9 aaa bbb ccc ddd (adf) 142 120/tyu fff... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

faster command than find for sorting?

I'm sorting files from a source directory by size into 4 categories then copying them into 4 corresponding folders, just wondering if there's a faster/better/more_elegant way to do this: find /home/user/sourcefiles -type f -size -400000k -exec /bin/cp -uv {} /home/user/medfiles/ \; find... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Sorting top command output in HP_UX 11.11

Hello all, I've been woking on Solaris and Linux (Red Hat) so far but now I've inherited an HP-UX system and having minor issues with syntax...Appreciate if you could help me out here.. 1) I'm trying to sort the output of the top command in HP-UX 11.11 by pressing O (capital O) after typing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Monitoring log file for entries - Find command & sorting

hi, I would like to monitor a log file, which rolls over, everytime a server is restarted. I would like to grep for a string, and to be more efficient i'd like to grep only newly appended data. so something like a 'tail -f' would do, however, as the log rolls over i think a 'tail -F' is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Sorting the numbers without using sort command

Hi, I've got two arrays 1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8 and i need to write a shell script to get the output 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 without using sort or bubble sort. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: web2moha
1 Replies
GENBACKUPDATA(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GENBACKUPDATA(1)

NAME
genbackupdata - generate backup test data SYNOPSIS
genbackupdata [--chunk-size=SIZE] [--config=FILE] [-c=SIZE] [--create=SIZE] [--depth=DEPTH] [--dump-config] [--dump-setting-names] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--max-files=MAX-FILES] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--quiet] [--seed=SEED] [--version] DESCRIPTION
genbackupdata generates test data sets for performance testing of backup software. It creates a directory tree filled with files of dif- ferent sizes. The total size and the distribution of sizes between small and big are configurable. The program can also modify an exist- ing directory tree by creating new files, and deleting, renaming, or modifying existing files. This can be used to generate test data for successive generations of backups. The program is deterministic: with a given set of parameters (and a given pre-existing directory tree), it always creates the same output. This way, it is possible to reproduce backup tests exactly, without having to distribute the potentially very large test sets. The data set consists of plain files and directories. Files are either small text files or big binary files. Text files contain the "lorem ipsum" stanza, binary files contain randomly generated byte streams. The percentage of file data that is small text or big binary files can be set, as can the sizes of the respective file types. Files and directories are named "fileXXXX" or "dirXXXX", where "XXXX" is a successive integer, separate successions for files and directo- ries. There is an upper limit to how many files a directory may contain. After the file limit is reached, a new sub-directory is created. The first set of files go into the root directory of the test set. You have to give one of the options --create, --delete, --rename, or --modify for the program to do anything. You can, however, give more than one of them, if DIR already exists. (Giving the same option more than once means that only the last instance is counted.) (DIR) is created if it doesn't exist already. OPTIONS
--chunk-size=SIZE generate data in chunks of this size (default: 16384) --config=FILE add FILE to config files -c, --create=SIZE how much data to create (default: 0) --depth=DEPTH depth of directory tree (default: 3) --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --file-size=SIZE size of one file (default: 16384) --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --max-files=MAX-FILES max files/dirs per dir (default: 128) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --quiet do not report progress --seed=SEED seed for random number generator (default: 0) --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLES
Create data for the first generation of a backup: genbackupdata --create=10G testdir Modify an existing set of backup data to create a new generation: genbackupdata -c 5% -d 2% -m 5% -r 0.5% testdir The above command can be run for each new generation. GENBACKUPDATA(1)