Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing space separated value to a function - error Post 302357658 by balamv on Wednesday 30th of September 2009 10:06:45 AM
Old 09-30-2009
Thank you so much.

nameCheck "$names" - This works as expected.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parameter passing in a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while using grep (multi-level) with the space-separated filepath.

Hi, I've been trying to use grep to find out all the files which have two particular patterns in it (both pattern1 AND pattern2). I have a script to do the same, in which I'm getting the output of the first grep (with -l option) which contains the list of file paths and I'm trying to search for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop through space separated values?

How do I loop thru space separated values in a variable? I hate to use very complicated counter increment logic for this kind of simple problem. Expected result(using ksh) $>echo "aaa bbbb cccc" | <looping code here> var=aaa var=bbbb var=cccc $>echo "aaa bbbb cccc" | while IFS=" "... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments that contain space

hi All, i am trying to pass arguments that contain space , value will be stored in variables to be used further in script , i went thru previous posting , still its not clear to how to implement for my case. passing 3 args test.sh it is 'fun to work in unix' inside shell ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkk
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Comma separated values to space separated

Hi, I have a large number of files which are written as csv (comma-separated values). Does anyone know of simple sed/awk command do achieve this? Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 AM ---------- Guess I asked this too soon. Found the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How convert space separated list to matched columns?

Hi I have been racking my (limited) brains to get this to work without success I have a file output which is a list of lists - ie a single column of data that is separated by space into sub lists below - I need to both split this so that each list is in a separate column (eg tab or semicolon... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manchesterpaul
8 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ Attempting to modify this function to read from a (;) semi-colon-separated file

After some thought. I am uncomfortable issuing my professors name where, there may be unintended side effects from any negative responses/feedback. Willing to re post if I can omit school / professor publicly, but can message moderator for validation? I am here for knowledge and understanding,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help on For Loop to pass space separated value as one value

Hi, I am having a file say list1 with a output like below jun 12 18:23 may 20 18:23 Now i want to pass the above two values into for loop,I have written a script like this. #!/bin/bash a=`cat list1` for i in $a do echo "HI $i" done expected output: HI jun 12 18:23 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)