Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Modprobe problem
Operating Systems Linux Modprobe problem Post 302357255 by dr.house on Tuesday 29th of September 2009 08:14:03 AM
Old 09-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo23
When I run modprobe ipmi_watchdog by hand, it works as expected. When I let it run from the watchdog init.d script, it does not
... which makes me doubt the init script is working properly (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo23
Is there any way to look at the options specified on an already-loaded kernel module?
Maybe (just googling and guessing, though ...): wdt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I run something as root (modprobe, to be exact) every time computer starts.

I have the root password for my box, but I'm ignorant. So, every time I start my computer, I have to run this command /sbin/modprobe fuse as su, so that I can do other stuff (like mount remote directories locally using sshfs) I guess there's some file, like .bashrc, only it's applicable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

"modprobe -r cdrom" error.

hello all, i used modprobe -r usb-storage its working properly but when i use the same command with cdrom module as modprobe -r cdrom it is giving error as Fatal error:module cdrom in use, but i dont have any thing in rom and not using it. thanx. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
9 Replies

3. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modprobe spi_bitbang results in error messages

Hi, I'm having a problem with the voyage linux distribution. I've been busy to include a CAN driver, which uses the SPI bus to communicate. While I was busy debugging the code, everything worked fine while performing a modprobe of the SPI driver to get it all running. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nistap
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

problems after modifying modprobe.conf

Hey Guys, I am having a problem after modifying the modprobe.conf. I added a few entries for the HBA drivers. When I noticed that it would not boot after this, I mounted a knoppix disk and removed those lines from the modprobe.conf. Now after removing those lines, it is still stuck at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore

Hello Linux forum! I am working on an older Red hat Linux version(kernel) 2.4.21 and I have compiled the kernel and I select it on startup, but I get the following errors: Mounting Local Filesystems: Modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module udf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.rhtuner
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Modprobe prepare new IP address

Hello, I m working on virtualization and saved the templates in virtual server. On creating the new Virtual machine or linux system, is there a way where during booting, it should prompt for new IP address, gateway, DNS and hostname? Or is there any configuration in linux where we can modify... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modprobe error message

Hi anyone knows what this error message means and how to fix it? igb 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002) igb 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT D -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16 igb 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64 igb 0000:01:00.0: Hardware Initialization Failure igb 0000:01:00.0: PCI... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rmmod,modprobe or dracut?

I am making few changes inside modprobe.d directory, now there are two options to make them effective 1) rmmod module, make changes and modprobe module 2) dracut -f I was wondering what's the difference between two, in terms of result, dracut makes kernel image again though and the other unplug... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies
WDOGCTL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						WDOGCTL(8)

NAME
wdogctl -- Watchdog timer control utility SYNOPSIS
wdogctl wdogctl -d wdogctl -e [-A] [-p seconds] timer wdogctl -k [-A] [-p seconds] timer wdogctl -t wdogctl -u [-A] [-p seconds] timer wdogctl -x [-A] [-p seconds] timer DESCRIPTION
wdogctl is used to manipulate watchdog timers. Watchdog timers provide a means of ensuring that a system continues to make progress. This is accomplished by use of a timer, provided by either hardware or software; when the timer expires, the watchdog resets the system. In this case of a hardware watchdog timer, this is accomplished by asserting the system's hardware reset signal. In the case of a software watchdog timer, this is accomplished by calling the kernel's normal reboot path. In order to prevent the system from rebooting, something must refresh the timer to prevent it from expiring. The NetBSD kernel provides three basic modes in which watchdog timers may operate: kernel tickle mode, user tickle mode, and external tickle mode. In kernel tickle mode, a timer in the kernel refreshes the watchdog timer. In user tickle mode, wdogctl runs in the background and refreshes the watchdog timer. In kernel tickle mode, progress of the kernel is ensured. In user tickle mode, the ability for user programs to run within a known period of time is ensured. Note that user tickle mode must be used with caution; on a heavily loaded system, the timer may expire accidentally, even though user programs may be making (very slow) progress. A user-mode timer is disarmed (if possible) when the device is closed, unless the timer is activated with the -x option. External-mode watchdogs are similar to user-mode watchdogs, except that the tickle must be done explicitly by a separate invocation of the program with the -t option. In the first two modes, an attempt is made to refresh the watchdog timer in one half the timer's configured period. That is, if the watchdog timer has a period of 30 seconds, a refresh attempt is made every 15 seconds. If called without arguments, wdogctl will list the timers available on the system. When arming a watchdog timer, the timer argument is the name of the timer to arm. Only one timer may be armed at a time; if an attempt is made to arm a timer when one is already armed, an error message will be displayed and no action will be taken. The options are as follows: -A When arming a timer, this flag indicates that an audible alarm is to sound when the watchdog timer expires and resets the system. If the selected timer does not support an audible alarm, this option will be silently ignored. -d This flag disarms the currently active timer. Note that not all watchdog timers can be disabled once armed. If the selected timer can not be disabled, an error message will be displayed and the timer will remain armed. -e Arm timer in external tickle mode. -k Arm timer in kernel tickle mode. -p period When arming a timer, this flag configures the timer period to period seconds. If the specified period is outside the timer's range, an error message will be displayed and no action will be taken. -t This flag tickles an external mode timer. -u Arm timer in user tickle mode. -x Arm timer in a modified user tickle mode: closing the device will not disarm the timer. FILES
/dev/watchdog -- the system monitor watchdog timer device SEE ALSO
acpiwdrt(4), evbarm/iopwdog(4), i386/elansc(4), i386/gcscpcib(4), i386/geodewdog(4), ipmi(4), itesio(4), pcweasel(4), pwdog(4), swwdog(4), x86/ichlpcib(4) HISTORY
The wdogctl command first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. AUTHORS
The wdogctl command and the NetBSD watchdog timer framework were written by Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>, and contributed by Zembu Labs, Inc. BSD
August 11, 2011 BSD