Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need help understanding mv
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help understanding mv Post 302356970 by taiL on Monday 28th of September 2009 10:05:05 AM
Old 09-28-2009
sorry for the long wait. Thanks. After fixing the spaces I have
Code:
echo "Enter Name of the first file:"
    read file1
    #echo $file1
    if [ ! -f $file1]; then
        echo "Sorry, file does not exist."
        exit 1
    fi

echo "Name of the second file:"
    read file2

if [ ! -f $file2]; then    
        echo "Sorry, file does not exist."
        exit 1
    else
        #echo $file1
        #echo $file2
        set tmp = $file1
        mv "$file2" "$file1"
        mv "$tmp" "$file2"
    fi;;

But when I run it I still get this error

Quote:
Enter Name of the first file:
txt.txt
./Assgn1.bash: line 52: [: missing `]'
Name of the second file:
file.txt
./Assgn1.bash: line 60: [: missing `]'
mv: cannot stat `file.txt': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `': No such file or director
Am using the mv in the wrong manner?
(I'm trying to swap the name of the files.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for understanding of script

# sub: find block (in cols), return line-numbers (begin-end) or 0 if notfound sub findb{ my ($exp1,$col1,$exp2,$col2)= @_; # $exp = expression to find, $col - column to search in my $cnt=0; my ($val1,$val2); my ($beg,$end); for($cnt=1;$cnt<=65536;$cnt++){ $val1 =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Understanding 'du' command

Hi I have a questions related 2 commands : 'du' and 'ls'. Why is the difference between output of 'du' and 'ls' cmd's ? Command 'du' : ------------------ jakubn@server1 /home/jakubn $ du -s * 4 engine.ksh 1331 scripts 'du -s *' ---> shows block count size on disk (512 Bytes... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding <<EOF

Hi all I stuck with a problem. I want to understand the execution of the below code. Can any one please help me `sqlplus username/passwd@DB << EOF set serveroutput on declare begin sql_query; end; / commit / quit EOF` My ques is why do we use EOF and how does it help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a regex

Hi, Please help me to understand the bold segments in the below regex. Both are of same type whose meaning I am looking for. find . \( -iregex './\{6,10\}./src' \) -type d -maxdepth 2 Output: ./20111210.0/src In continuation to above: sed -e 's|./\(*.\{1,3\}\).*|\1|g' Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Hi Guys, I am new to scripting , I am trying to rebuild a script based on an old script. Can someone help me figure out what the script is doing? This is only a part of the script. I am looking to interpret these two points in the scripts:- 1) test=`echo $?` while I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with understanding of alias

Hi, I saw the following explanation about alias in bash from gnu website, but I didn't get the meaning: Bash always reads at least one complete line of input before executing any of the commands on that line. Aliases are expanded when a command is read, not when it is executed. Therefore, an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding lseek

I tried to use lseek system call to determine the number of bytes in a file. To do so, I used open system call with O_APPEND flag to open a file. As lseek returns the current offset so I called lseek for opened file with offset as zero and whence as SEEK_CUR. So I guess it must return the number of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Raj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)