Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity File owned by oracle user and dba group need readonly access to other users Post 302356453 by varontron on Friday 25th of September 2009 03:03:22 PM
Old 09-25-2009
you can change permissions with 'chmod' but you need to be the owner of the file. So to give non-Oracle non-dba-group user read access you would login as the owner (Oracle) and issue:
Code:
chmod o+r abc.txt

look at the chmod man page for more info.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Readonly access

Hi, I have create a user using the following command useradd -d /home/rozan -s /bin/bash -c "Rozan ahmed" -g dba rozan I would like to give her only the read only access to $BDUMP_HOME/alert.log file The owner of the file is oracle:oinstall Regards Faruque (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: faruque.ahmed
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deny dba command to a user group!!

Dear all i am relatively new in using UNIX i have a problem, We are using IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.FC7W4 we have 2 bsic user groups that we are using the 1st is root and another i wasnt to restrict the command "dba" that takes the users of that group to the database. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to restrict a user group to access the kernel

Hi, Please any one can help me to know that how we can restrict a user group to access the kernel at all. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

oracle user and group setting

I am seeking help on this issue. When I installed Oracle 10g on Solaris 9 sparc box, I created user oracle and assigned oracle user to primary group Oinstall and second group dba. Then installation went successful. After that, I created another user ccmm and assigned ccmm to dba group. Then I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user & group read/write access question

folks; I created a new users on my SUSE box and i need to give this user/group a read write access to one specific folder. here's the details: - I created new user "funny" under group "users". - I need to give this user "funny" a read/write access to another directory that is owned by "root".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

6. AIX

cloning users access with different user name

Hi! this would be my first time to post here in this forums, hope you can help me with my queries. i would like to create a different user name but have the same access rights. Example: root > rootbaby. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HPL1706
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To set different file permissions for different users of same group

Hi, If User1, User2 and User3 are in the same group. User1 should not be able to view the files of User2 and User3. But User2 and User3 should be able to view all files. How to set permission for this. Please help. Thanks, Priya. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: banupriyat
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Users Access - AD Authentication - User can't log in?

I have a user who's having troubles logging into one of my servers, that is authenticating with AD. After glancing over /etc/passwd, I found the users account is different than mine and others who aren't having any issues. What's the difference between these two accounts? What's the "1 60 14 60" ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Oracle DBA licensing on Solaris 11 LDOMS

My understanding is that Oracle DB licensing is based on number of cores etc. If you use virtual machines (e.g.ldoms) you need to partition it properly otherwise, in theory you have to pay based on the host machine. Can anyone confirm I'm right here? And explain it in bit more detail (i.e.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for files owned by particular owner and group

I am searchingfor files owned by particular owner and group in a particular directory including its sub-directories. I use find <dir> -user <user> -group <group> -exec ls -l {} \; It does not work completely. In the sense is a subdirectory is owned by 'user' and group 'group' then all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
9 Replies
logindevperm(4)                                                    File Formats                                                    logindevperm(4)

NAME
logindevperm, fbtab - login-based device permissions SYNOPSIS
/etc/logindevperm DESCRIPTION
The /etc/logindevperm file contains information that is used by login(1) and ttymon(1M) to change the owner, group, and permissions of devices upon logging into or out of a console device. By default, this file contains lines for the keyboard, mouse, audio, and frame buffer devices. The owner of the devices listed in /etc/logindevperm is set to the owner of the console by login(1). The group of the devices is set to the owner's group specified in /etc/passwd. The permissions are set as specified in /etc/logindevperm. Fields are separated by TAB and/or SPACE characters. Blank lines and comments can appear anywhere in the file; comments start with a hash- mark, ` # ', and continue to the end of the line. The first field specifies the name of a console device (for example, /dev/console). The second field specifies the permissions to which the devices in the device_list field (third field) will be set. These permissions must be expressed in octal format. For example, O774. A device_list is a colon-separated list of device names. Note that a device name must be a /dev link. A device entry that is a directory name and ends with "/*" specifies all entries in the directory (except "." and ".."). For example, "/dev/fbs/*" specifies all frame buffer devices. Once the devices are owned by the user, their permissions and ownership can be changed using chmod(1) and chown(1), as with any other user- owned file. Upon logout the owner and group of these devices will be reset by ttymon(1M) to owner root and root's group as specified in /etc/passwd (typically other). The permissions are set as specified in the /etc/logindevperm file. FILES
/etc/passwd File that contains user group information. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chown(1), login(1), ttymon(1M), passwd(4) NOTES
/etc/logindevperm provides a superset of the functionality provided by /etc/fbtab in SunOS 4.x releases. SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2003 logindevperm(4)