Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell variables problems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell variables problems Post 302356410 by cfajohnson on Friday 25th of September 2009 11:32:33 AM
Old 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigles
[code]
for wfile in `cat list_of_files`

That is a UUOC and will break the script if any filenames contain whitespace.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell problems

I am a newbies here and also dummies in csh language. I've been told from my frenz this forum is very useful site for Q&A about UNIX script. Can anyone in here just lead me to learn more about csh language with code example. tq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown2205
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with sed and flat file variables

Hello All, It has been a loooooooooooong time since I had last used sed but decided to use it for a simple task I have . My goal is to use sed to read variables from a flat file then use those same variables in order to make some subsitutions. However what I am finding is that when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icalderus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script problems to do

Does anyone know a good site to do shell script problems? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems calling out variables in a loop

good afternoon forums. i have a problem that ive been trying to work out all morning and cant seem to get my head around it. what i have in my script is individual letters saved in different variables. so if the word unix was saved then 'u' would be stored in the variable 'wvar1' 'n' in 'wvar2'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems in shell

hiiii this is the first time for me here >>> but really i have some problems for answers these things also understanding... Can any one help me? Write a simple shell as given in class. Your shell, called shell will read input lines from standard input, parse them into a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronald kabbi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect and set variables

I'm writing a script that'll send a time-stamp to my backup server. I create a file with the name of the current date, send it to my server with scp and rm the file from the local computer. Individually these commands work fine and with a set name the expect scripts also work fine. The problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ktesh564
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two problems when I am writing my own shell

Hi, guys: I am writing my own shell using c. I meet with two problems. First, when I use tcsetpgrp system call to move a background job to foreground, when this job finishes, my shell program also exit. What is the problem for that? Second, when I use signal , if the child has its own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomlee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with variables syntax

Hi there I am really struggling :eek: to place a value in a variable with the following loop, having run out of ideas please can someone point me in the right direction? We first read two PIDs of a program (say calc) into an array, then we loop reading the details of those processes into a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathan.harris
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with substitution between two variables

To all geeks, What I want to achieve: 1. Accept two filenames from user and store the filenames in two variables (FILE1 and FILE2) 2. Check if files exisits. If doesn't, then exit 3. If files exist, look for a particular string in both files 4. If the string exists, then change the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak Tulsani
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with awk (fatal error) and paste (two variables into one column-by-column)

Hello, I have a script extracting columns of useful numbers from a data file, and manipulating the numbers with awk commands. I have problems with my script... 1. There are two lines assigning numbers to $BaseForAveraging. If I use the commented line (the first one) and let the second one... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgbraymond
9 Replies
FBB::Manipulators(3bobcat)					   Manipulators 					FBB::Manipulators(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::Manipulators - Manipulators defined in the FBB namespace DESCRIPTION
Various manipulators are defined within the FBB namespace. This manual page provides an overview of the manipulators that are currently defined in the FBB namespace. MANIPULATORS
o FBB::center: defined in bobcat/align This manipulator can be specified when constructing an FBB::Align object to indicate that a table column should center its contents. o FBB::decindent: defined in bobcat/indent This manipulator reduces the indentation level. o FBB::def: defined in bobcat/table This manipulator `completes' a Table object to a full rectangular object. It can be inserted into a Table object. o FBB::err: defined in bobcat/msg Generates an error message. o FBB::fatal: defined in bobcat/msg Generates a fatal message, followed by an Errno(1) exception. o FBB::fs: defined in bobcat/tablebuf Starts the definition of the next element in a table. o FBB::info: defined in bobcat/msg Generates an informational message. o FBB::incindent: defined in bobcat/indent This manipulator will increment the indentation level. o FBB::indent: defined in bobcat/indent This manipulator inserts the currently defined number of indentation blanks into an ostream. o FBB::indentdec: defined in bobcat/indent This manipulator will insert, then reduce the indentation level. o FBB::indentinc: defined in bobcat/indent This manipulator will insert, then increment the indentation level. o FBB::lm: defined in bobcat/ofoldstreambuf This manipulator sets the left margin of FBB::OFoldStream objects. o FBB::mlm: defined in bobcat/ofoldstreambuf This manipulator modifies (alters) the left margin of FBB::OFoldStream objects. o FBB::nlindent: defined in bobcat/indent This manipulator will insert a newline, then indent. o FBB::rs: defined in bobcat/tablebuf Starts the definition of the next row in a table. o FBB::spool: defined in bobcat/msg Generates a (partial) informational message. o FBB::warning: defined in bobcat/msg Generates a warning message. SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), columnwidth(3bobcat), equalwidth(3bobcat), errno(3bobcat), indent(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), mlm(3bobcat), msg(3bobcat), table(3bob- cat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::Manipulators(3bobcat)