Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove Duplicate Filenames in 2 very large directories Post 302356053 by peterro on Thursday 24th of September 2009 11:19:16 AM
Old 09-24-2009
Your solutions don't work because they don't work or because they increase the load too much on the production system?

I would probably test whatever solution on a test pair of directories that you hand build so you can see if the solution is working or not.

If it is a load issue, try using the 'nice' command to lower the priority of your process.

rsync would probably work as well, but I would test a lot on sample data to make sure it's doing what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fastest way to traverse through large directories

Hi! I have thousands of sub-directories, and hundreds of thousands of files in them. What is the fast way to find out which files are older than a certain date? Is the "find" command the fastest? Or is there some other way? Right now I have a C script that traverses through and checks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedharange
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove prefix from filenames

I'm trying to put together a shell script that will append specific prefixes based on the content of filenames. I think I have this part down. However, I want to append before that part a process that will remove the current prefix before it renames the files with the new prefix. For example,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar contains duplicate filenames

I have a problem where tar is somehow creating duplicate filenames when tarring a directory. Doing an ls on the directory does not show any duplicate filenames, yet when the directory is tarred, you can see that there are duplicates: bash-2.03# pwd /var/log/cricket bash-2.03# ls -1 | sort |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

duplicate directories

Hi, I have file which users like filename ->"readfile", following entries peter john alaska abcd xyz and i have directory /var/ i want to do first cat of "readfile" line by line and first read peter in variable and also cross check with /var/ how many directories are avaialble... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript to rearrange filenames in directories

below is the script to rename filenames ending with .pdf extension. I want the script to enter directories and search for all pdf and then if it is in the format file_amb_2008.pdf , then change it to 2008_amb_file.pdf, and this script should work only for .pdf files. help required to make the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaddevil
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate filenames and remove in different mount point

Hi Gurus, Do any kind souls encounter have the same script as mentioned here. Find and compare filenames in different mount point and remove duplicates. Thanks a million!!! wanna13e (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wanna13e
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicate directories

I have noticed that the same folder (and contents) lives in /u/public and /usr/public Question was this put here intentionally or by accident? Its 31Gb in size and on a 72Gb HDD that leaves little room for apps. It is a nework shared drive for all to access e.g. p: points to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moondogi
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filenames

Hi, I have files like below, In files coming as spaces. Before transfering those files into ftp server. I want to remove the spaces and then can transfer the files into unix server. e.g: filenames are 1) SHmail _profile001_20120908.txt 2) SHmail_profile001 _20120908.txt 3) sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirankumar
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete duplicate directories?

Is there a way via some bash script or just cmd to find duplicate directories? i have main folders: TEST1 TEST2 In folder TEST1 is some amount of same folders as in folder TEST2 can be this done? i tried fdupe but it only search for dupe files not whle dirs thx! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
8 Replies
seek(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   seek(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
seek - Change the access position for an open channel SYNOPSIS
seek channelId offset ?origin? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Changes the current access position for channelId. ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as a Tcl standard channel (stdin, stdout, or stderr), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The offset and origin arguments specify the position at which the next read or write will occur for channelId. Offset must be an integer (which may be negative) and origin must be one of the following: start The new access position will be offset bytes from the start of the underlying file or device. current The new access position will be offset bytes from the current access position; a negative offset moves the access position back- wards in the underlying file or device. end The new access position will be offset bytes from the end of the file or device. A negative offset places the access position before the end of file, and a positive offset places the access position after the end of file. The origin argument defaults to start. The command flushes all buffered output for the channel before the command returns, even if the channel is in nonblocking mode. It also discards any buffered and unread input. This command returns an empty string. An error occurs if this command is applied to channels whose underlying file or device does not support seeking. Note that offset values are byte offsets, not character offsets. Both seek and tell operate in terms of bytes, not characters, unlike read. EXAMPLES
Read a file twice: set f [open file.txt] set data1 [read $f] seek $f 0 set data2 [read $f] close $f # $data1 == $data2 if the file wasn't updated Read the last 10 bytes from a file: set f [open file.data] # This is guaranteed to work with binary data but # may fail with other encodings... fconfigure $f -translation binary seek $f -10 end set data [read $f 10] close $f SEE ALSO
file(n), open(n), close(n), gets(n), tell(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
access position, file, seek Tcl 8.1 seek(n)