Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recover directory/files in unix Post 302355953 by jyoung on Thursday 24th of September 2009 07:24:12 AM
Old 09-24-2009
If you have a good backup you can restore. Other than that not much else.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from a unix directory to a windows directory

Any body any ideas i'm failry new to this so any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gleads
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Want to remove files from unix directory

Dear All I am basic user of Unix. i woul like to delete some files (basically 05 and 0801111105) from unix directories but unable to delete it I tried all option. rm , rm -f etc.. but not succeed. Infact it also not allowing me to use chmod option so that i can grant 777 option to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogi_chavan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get the no of files from a particular directory in UNIX?

Hi, i have one scenario that i want to count the no of files in the specified Directory. if if put the ls -rtl | grep "^d" --> Retreive the list of directory only ls -rtl | grep "^-r" --> Retreive the list of files only But i want to know if i pass the directory name i want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recover deleted file in unix

hi after using rm command how to recover the deleted file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to recover deleted files in unix

Hi Experts, by mistake i deleted some files that are very important to the project. is there any way that i can recover those files,there is no backup for that but the details of the file we know. This will be a great help. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
5 Replies

6. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Recover Deleted Files

Hi, By mistake, executed the following command : rm -rf * and ALL files got deleted. But I need to get back these files as they are very very important. Please help me how to recover this file. Its Urgent for me please. Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to recover the truncate file in unix

how to recover the file in unix. Thanks in advance.:wall: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
1 Replies
UNDELETE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       UNDELETE(2)

NAME
undelete -- attempt to recover a deleted file LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int undelete(const char *path); DESCRIPTION
The undelete() system call attempts to recover the deleted file named by path. Currently, this works only when the named object is a white- out in a union file system. The system call removes the whiteout causing any objects in a lower layer of the union stack to become visible once more. Eventually, the undelete() functionality may be expanded to other file systems able to recover deleted files such as the log-structured file system. RETURN VALUES
The undelete() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
The undelete() succeeds unless: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded 255 characters, or an entire path name exceeded 1023 characters. [EEXIST] The path does not reference a whiteout. [ENOENT] The named whiteout does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [EACCES] Write permission is denied on the directory containing the name to be undeleted. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EPERM] The directory containing the name is marked sticky, and the containing directory is not owned by the effective user ID. [EINVAL] The last component of the path is '..'. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while updating the directory entry. [EROFS] The name resides on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] The path argument points outside the process's allocated address space. SEE ALSO
unlink(2), mount_unionfs(8) HISTORY
The undelete() system call first appeared in 4.4BSD-Lite. BSD
January 22, 2006 BSD