Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SVM question
Operating Systems Solaris SVM question Post 302355682 by NewSolarisAdmin on Wednesday 23rd of September 2009 11:29:20 AM
Old 09-23-2009
SVM question

I am trying to set up a new server. It has 8 HD's in it. I am using 2 for the system disk. IE set one up mirror to the other. I am using the other 6 as data disks. For those I want to concat 3 together, mirror to the other 3 (also concated together of course) and then make various soft partitions on them.

I know I need to run the install disk and set up the system disk (lets call it t0 from now on). Then I will have to run format to partition the other HD I want to miror it to (disk t1). I was thinking run format on the t0 and "save" it to a file then use format -x to format t1 so they will be the same. than I have found this guide to mirror the root HD:Guide to mirroring root / boot disks with solaris volume manager (disksuite) on <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">solaris</b> 10

FOr the data disks I am kind of at a loss: I am thinking format them with all space on slice 1 and a small slice 7 for SVM's DB's. But I am not familiar enough with the meta commands to know how to concat the 3 HD's together, mirror them, or make soft partitions on them.

Can anyone help me with this part?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change the name in SVM

gurus, i have configured the LUN's in solaris 10.after labeled the disk,i have added the disk into one of the soft partition using metattach d0 c5t1000d10s6.actully before that i should confiure the powermt and than i should have add metattch d0 emcpowerc2.i forget to do that and increased... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjay.com
0 Replies

2. Solaris

SVM, mirroring

Really sorry for the long posting. But i would really want to clear all the doubts. I have 2 disk c0t0d0 & c0t1d0, i wanted to mirror c0t1d0 (mirror) to c0t0d0 (main). Creating state database replica: metadb -a -c3 -f c0t0d0s7 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginningDBA
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SVM doubt

i have taken two separate disk A and B created 4 slices in each A b s4 s4 s5 s5 s6 s6 s7 s7 took slices s4 of A and slice s6 0f B ---created a meta device d0 took slices s4 of B and slice s6 0f A---created a meta device d1 created main mirror d2 using d0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek_ng
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem with SVM

HI, I added by error to a submirror some disks : metattach d53 c2t90d0s0 c2t90d1s0 ... instead of doing a stripe by disk (like that) : metattach d53 c2t90d0s0 metattach d53 c2t90d1s0 .. then, I did a growfs -M to expand FS and the size isn't correct. I tried to launch a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phil.nakache
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SVM

How to list out multiple Disk sets in SVM # metaset -s <disksetname> --- This will list out only one diskset but I need a list of disk sets configured for the node. Is there any command,please let me know ... Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramath
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is interlace value in SVM?

Hi All, I want to know what is the Interlace value in SVM and what is the need of this ? regards, prashant (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
1 Replies

7. Solaris

SVM - Concatenation Question

Hi All, I have a metadevice d10 created on c0t0d0s7 in a sloaris machine. I have inserted a new disk and i would like to concatenate the new disk (c0t1d0s0) to d10. Since d10 is already in use,can i concatenate it? If so please help me with the command and procedure. I tried the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
2 Replies

8. Solaris

SVM Creation

Hello, I recently patched my Solaris 10 box and found out that few of the apps are not working. Fortunately, I had detached the mirroring prior to patching, so I just booted into my secondary disk and found that my apps are working.... The problem is this was way back in last month....see... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigi_p5
14 Replies

9. Solaris

Fsck with SVM

Hello I want to ask that how to mount and run fsck in SVM disk.In my scenario if i have to disks c0t0d0 and c0t1d0 these two disks are in Mirroring (raid1) if i want to run fsck on the disks than below are the right steps? ok boot cdrom -s mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a cd /a fsck... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnybravo
3 Replies

10. Solaris

SVM ISSUE...

Dear All, I face some errors in SVM.Need help. Actually couple of days ago i got a call from one of the customer mentioning that one of the sub-mirror was in Need maintance state. So we replaced that disk. After Replacing the disk it comes back to "Okay" State. But the Error are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
3 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-l] [--type TYPE] [--nr M-N] [partition] disk DESCRIPTION
Given a block device ( disk ) and a partition table type , try to parse the partition table, and list the contents. Optionally add or remove partitions. This is not an fdisk - adding and removing partitions is not a change of the disk, but just telling the kernel about presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a add specified partitions or read disk and add all partitions -d delete specified or all partitions -l list partitions. Note that the all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. --type TYPE Specify the partition type -- dos, bsd, solaris, unixware or gpt. --nr M-N Specify the range of partitions (e.g --nr 2-4). SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. 11 Jan 2007 PARTX(8)