Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extremly huge shmmax value
Operating Systems Linux SuSE extremly huge shmmax value Post 302355037 by jim mcnamara on Monday 21st of September 2009 09:43:50 AM
Old 09-21-2009
The max possible shmmax value is 18446744073709551615 for 64 bit. Which is what you have.

Here is an article on setting the shmmax value:
comp.os.linux.setup: PERMANENTLY setting shmmax in Linux - Suse Personal Edition 8.2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

OSX uploads to 2000 server extremly slow

We have just added 5 macs to what used to be an all Windows shop. Everything works great except the macs upload to a windows 200 file server extremly slow. Are there any suggestions to make the upload faster? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbeard6142
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SHMMAX (semaphores)

How can I change the semaphore values? Without say writing a C program that calls the method. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
5 Replies

3. Solaris

compare huge file

Hi, I have files with records of 40,00,000& 39,00,000 and i want to find out the content 1.which is existing in file1 and not in file2. 2.Which is exisitng in file2 and not in file1. The format of the file will be like 404ABCDEFGHIJK|CDEFGHIJK|1234567890|1 If its a smaller one i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salaathi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting huge file

Hi All I am sorting a huge file -rw-r--r-- 1 rama users 448156978 May 13 18:48 102384.temp $ sort -k 1,40n 102384.temp > 102384.temp1 msgcnt 1468 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg00/var file system full (1 block extent) sort: A write error occurred while sorting. I thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Huge PI in vmstat

This is something nowbody around me can explain: vmstat (-S 5) shows a huge number of PI but when I try to monitor it in parallel with iostat - there is no IO activity to be seen that would correspond to this. I have 16G RAM and 32G swap file. I'll really appreciate if somebody can explain it.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkvent
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help on SHMMAX

Hi. Allocated is showing in hexadecimal which comes to 1 GB But the usage is showing more (14 GB). Can you please explain why? Normally, usage should be less than allocated $ /usr/sbin/kmtune -q shmmax Parameter Current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: somesh_p
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

kernel-huge

Hi All, I have a uname -a Linux caws101arop 2.6.9-67.0.20.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 12:35:02 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux And I'm having lots of problem especially when the web server got new two additional website. Before the memory was just 12G but we upgraded it to 65G. Do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get first column from a huge string ..!!

Guys Look at the following string....!! /global/site/vendor/Vignette7/Content/7_5/java5/jre/bin/java -classpath /global/site/vendor/Vignette7/Content/7_5/lib/vgnconfiglauncher.jar -Dcom.vignette.jvmid=V7CDS1CA1 -DVgnStartupClass=com.vignette.config.agent.Agent... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Huge File Comparison

Hi i need to compare two fixed length files and produce the differences if any to a seperate file. I have to capture each and every differneces line by line. Ideally my files should not have any differences but if there are any then it should be captured without any miss. Also my files sizes are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveenn08
4 Replies
shmmax(5)							File Formats Manual							 shmmax(5)

NAME
shmmax - maximum size (in bytes) for a System V shared memory segment VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
Shared memory is an efficient InterProcess Communications (IPC) mechanism. One process creates a shared memory segment and attaches it to its address space. Any processes looking to communicate with this process through the shared memory segment, then attach the shared memory segment to their corresponding address spaces as well. Once attached, a process can read from or write to the segment depending on the permissions specified while attaching it. This tunable sets the maximum size for such a segment within the system, and is dynamic as of HP-UX 11i. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? should be raised if it is below the maximum and user programs are attempting to segments larger than the current value, and receiving an error message. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? The only effect is that user programs can use to get larger segments. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If you wish to enforce behavior on the user's code, limiting the maximum size of System V segments. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? None. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? and should be considered because enforcing smaller segments may cause the user's code to try to create more segments to accomplish the task. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
shmem(5), shmmni(5), shmseg(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters shmmax(5)