Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing lines from one file based on another file Post 302353648 by vidyadhar85 on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 09:55:36 PM
Old 09-15-2009
no need of while loop
Code:
grep -f file2 file1 >final_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing lines out of a file based on a date

Hello, I'm new to this forum and am not exactly sure where to post this question, so I'll start here. I'm looking for a command or simple script that will read in a large flat file (contains 2005 data) and will output a new file based on a quarter. Within each row, position 87-90 is a julian... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines in another file based on contents in a second file

Hello, I have a file with tab delimited columns like: File1 A 2 C R F 4 D Q C 9 A B ...... I want to grep out the lines in a second file, File2, corresponding to each line in File1 Can I do this: while read a b c d do grep '$a\t$b\t$c\t$d' File2 >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy range of lines in a file based on keywords from another file

Hi Guys, I have the following problem. I have original file (org.txt) that looks like this module v_1(.....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_2(....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_3(...) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to select lines from one file based on another file

Hi, I would like to know how can I select lines of one file based on a common ID column from another file (keeping the order of the second file). Example of file1: ID A B C D 1-30 1 2 3 5-60 4 5 6 1-20 7 8 9 Example of file2: ID chr pos 1-20 1 20 1-30 1 30 5-60 5 60 Desired... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fadista
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Short program to select lines from a file based on a second file

Hello, I use UBUNTU 12.04. I want to write a short program using awk to select some lines in a file based on a second file. My first file has this format with about 400,000 lines and 47 fields: SNP1 1 12.1 SNP2 1 13.2 SNP3 1 45.2 SNP4 1 23.4 My second file has this format: SNP2 SNP3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex

I have a file that looks like this: cat includes CORP-CRASHTEST-BU e:\crashplan\ CORP-TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man CORP-LABS_TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man What I want to do is make three new files with just those selections. So the three... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh-to read ip file & append lines to another file based on pattern match

Hi, I need help with this- input.txt : L B white X Y white A B brown M Y black Read this input file and if 3rd column is "white", then add specific lines to another file insert.txt. If 3rd column is brown, add different set of lines to insert.txt, and so on. For example, the given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove lines from File.A based on criteria in File.B

Hello, I have two files of the following form. I would like to remove from File.A where the first three colum matches values in File.B to give the output in File.C File.A 121 54321 PQR CAT 122 765431 ABC DOG 124 98765 ZXY TIGER 125 86432 GEF LION File.B 122 765431 ABC 125 86432 GEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)