Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remover Banner and SQL prompt from isql Post 302353397 by ripat on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 08:44:04 AM
Old 09-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifzgud
yes its working!!!thanks a ton
Could you please explain me the command as i am not familiar with awk
Thanks
Certainly. Awk syntax is based on a </condition/>{action} pattern that will process every line of the file.

Here, the condition is:
!/^\+|\|/ all lines that does not (the ! in front of the /condition/) start either with + or | (escaped as these are two regex operators)

The action:
{sub(/^SQL>/, "");print}' first replace the SQL> string by nothing if it is at the start of the line. Then, print the modified record.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner command

Hey all, I want to use the banner/echo command to write messages on different console windows. I knew that before, but I completely forget how to do it ! I just remenber that /dev/pts/# is the number of the window. and it's useful. It would be great if someone knows how to solve my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxwell17
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Banner

How can I display a message to the crt whenever someone logs on? They do not see a unix prompt. I need to easily update this also. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beetlejuice
2 Replies

3. Solaris

bcp and isql for MS SQL Server on Solaris?

After dumping data from an Oracle database running on Solaris into a flat file, we need to run bcp and isql for MS SQL Server on the same Solaris box. Does Microsoft provide some tools that run on Unix? Thanks for your assistance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomstone_98
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql input file with multiple sql statements

I've got: isql -U $USERID -S $SERVER -D $DATABASE -i inputfile.sql -o outputfile.txt in inputfile I have: go sql#1 go sql#2 go sql#3 go I also tried without "go" and with";" instead which did not work SQL statements will work if I paste them directly into the script and use EOF ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate file remover using md5sum--good enough?

This is not a typical question. I have a fully working script but I'm interested in optimizing it. I frequently back up photos and movies from my digital camera and cell phone to both my home/work desktops, laptops, wife's netbook, and my home NAS and often end up with multiple versions of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling SQL prompt through Perl expect module

Hi All, I have a doubt whether expect module in perl will work in SQL prompt or its applicable only for shell prompt ? Thanks, Arun V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with banner.

is there a way to reduce the size of the banner? banner -w ? TIA (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: budz26
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Isql for SQL SERVER to get the table rows counts in UNIX shell script to

need to create shell script to read the table's name from file and connect SQL SERVER using isql (odbcunix) i 'm able connect to database with below command line syntex but i could not get working in shell script with SQL and storing the row count in variable. isql -v DSN USERNAME PASSWD ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pimmit22043
6 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3S)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3S) format given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 AWK(1)