Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding of a script as a scripting newbie Post 302353303 by sunpraveen on Tuesday 15th of September 2009 05:28:16 AM
Old 09-15-2009
Alex,

Code:

1. if [ ".$t" != . ]; then

The above is basically to check whether the variable $t is set or not. If it is indeed set to some value, then ".$t" will NOT be equal to "."

eg: if $t is set to a, then ".$t" will be equal to ".a".

Code:
2. if [ -s $status_out ]; then

-s file True if file exists and has a size greater than zero.

"man test" will give you more information.

Code:
3. if [ $t -ge $thresh_warn ]; then

The above is checking whether $t is greater than or equal to $thresh_warn and hence "-ge" option.

This is used for comparing numerals.

HTH,Smilie

Regards,

Praveen

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting Newbie

I'm relatively new at this scripting game, just need to learn some basic stuff for data handling. My current need is to write a script that loops through a textfile of filenames, and for each file removes the first line and re-writes that file to a new name. In fact I could do with knowing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattyjim2
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Newbie

Seems simple but I am having difficulty with this one: I am trying to write a single command line argument (which will be a path) - the program should print out the owner of the path. I can not get anything I write to run. Please help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kymmers7
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting newbie needs help

I have written a script that will email a generic user when a device is "offline". I would like to enhance this by having the script lookup a contact's email and automatically add it to the MAIL_LIST. I am trying to lookup and return data based on a field common in two files File 1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: irishluck66
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

am a newbie to unix. plz help in understanding this code.

hi everybody. please help me in understanding this code. echo "************* starting job on `date +\"%d/%m/%Y at %T\"` **************" # scriptdir=`dirname $0` . ${scriptdir}/env_params.sh # SHLIB_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib: export SHLIB_PATH export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokulj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting newbie... some help please?

hi all, i am just getting in to bash scripting, so don't be too harsh... i've created this little backup script, and it's just awfull... ugly, doesn't work like I want it to, the works. anyways, i was hoping some of you might help me improve it and learn a little in the process. what i... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmd9qs
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Shell Scripting

Hi Gurus, Im new to Shell scripting. I have a shell script which basically sends an email when called thorugh my ETL tool. Wanted to understand the its functionality in detail. Would be great it any one can explain what exactly the commands to #!/bin/sh # Dummy UUCP rmail command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Need help understanding ksh scripting.

Can any one please tell me where the error in below script. Output is not as per my requirement. if condition not comparing the result of record count of a file with 1. where is the pbm in my script? Appreciate your help.. #!/bin/ksh #Module- #Summary- To move the file to direcotries if... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivadanam
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble understanding shell scripting (mostly wsname)

Am still learning Scripting and I come across a build command that I don't really understand if /local/bin/wsname 2>/dev/null; then base="`/local/bin/wsname`" export base fi if ; then /local/bin/wsname exit 1 fi WSNAME="$base"/ can some one in light me to what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting - Newbie

Hi all, I have drill to do and I'll very appreciate your help: Please create a simple CSV file as follow (3 columns and 4 rows): A,B,C A,”B,C”,D “A,B”,C,D o A,B,”C,D” - Please refer to the comma between the quotation marks as a parameter and not as a separator. - Please provide... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elior
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Tetris-game code. newbie

Hi All, Been trying to understand the code in tetris game (in the sticky threads) & i know i have a alot reading /practice to do. it's using advanced methods with arrays and arithmetic and would much appreciate if some one can guide me to good books that's not outdated that would help me take... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcod3r
0 Replies
Locale::Language(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Locale::Language(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Language - standard codes for language identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Language; $lang = code2language('en'); # $lang gets 'English' $code = language2code('French'); # $code gets 'fr' @codes = all_language_codes(); @names = all_language_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Language" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying languages, such as those as defined in ISO 639. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639 two- letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying languages. The ones currently supported are: alpha-2 This is the set of two-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639, such as 'he' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_2". This is the default code set. alpha-3 This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) bibliographic codes from ISO 639, such as 'heb' for Hebrew. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_ALPHA_3". term This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) terminologic codes from ISO 639. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANG_TERM". ROUTINES
code2language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) language2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) language_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_language_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_language_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Language::rename_language ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Language::delete_language_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Language::rename_language_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::add_language_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Language::delete_language_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/ Source of the ISO 639 codes. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Language(3perl)