Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is umount -l dangerous?
Operating Systems Linux Is umount -l dangerous? Post 302353147 by mark54g on Monday 14th of September 2009 04:04:34 PM
Old 09-14-2009
Sorry, I did not mean the process connection. I meant the file system mount status to users was "offline" and the cleanup would occur later. It was not meant to be horribly accurate but give a very high level overview of "Do now, clean later"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount

:confused: Twofold question for you unix "guru's" 1) When attempting to use the umount command I get a message stating that the partition that I want to unmount is busy. Is there another command that I need to use prior to the umount command to clear the partition of activity????? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rod23
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umount error

the program as follow: mount /dev/fd0135ds18 /mnt cd /mnt touch file1 cat /file2 >/mnt/file1 umount /dev/fd135ds18 when error tell device busy could you tell me the reason? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fresh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umount help

hi all, I inherit a Solaris7 system with /home mounted via a share from the NFS server. When I look at mnttab, there are two entries mounted under /home. Let's say they are server:/home/a and server:/home/b. I would like to maintain /home/a but not /home/b. However, I just don't know where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrec
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of dangerous Unix command

Hi Guys, I wonder if one of you would have a list of dangerous commands on unix. Regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBB873
8 Replies

5. Solaris

umount is failing

I am trying to umount a NFS share. When I do the following: # umount syrupg21 umount: /oebs/syrupg21: device is busy device bussy so I like to check what is working on the system.... # fuser -muv /oebs/syrupg21/ # So no locks should be there... any clue? Regards, Johan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suntac
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to force umount

sorry, wrong section, mod please close thread (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertngo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umount CIFS

hi guys I have to umount a CIFS from a Windows machine...but it's been imposible there is one special task /sbin/umount.cifs /mondobackup that task cannot be kill...so I cannot umount the unit any idea how to kill this and umount this CIFS share? by the way I've tried umount... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List of dangerous shell commands

Hello, I have a Application which needs to run shell scripts in a elevated state (root) for system interrogation. So I execute each script using bash -C. This has worked really well. I now want to add another layer of security, I cant inspect each of the scripts before they get deployed to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjones1105
4 Replies

10. War Stories

Dangerous rm -rf command

Hello All, I am posting a intresting story which is posted by Mark Brader but actual story is from Mario Wolczko. Original link is here Thanks, R. Singh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
4 Replies