Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing all space seperates with tabs Post 302353080 by kylle345 on Monday 14th of September 2009 12:49:44 PM
Old 09-14-2009
replacing all space seperates with tabs

hi,
I have a file that is space separated at all columns. Basically what I want to do is replace all the space separations with column separations.

Thanks

kylle

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing tabs to spaces from files

hi, I have some 50 C files in which for indentation of code some devlopers used tabs, but we dont want any tab used for indentation. I have following 2 need. 1) find tabs from all 50 files (which are in one directory ) 2) replace them with 4 spaces. Thanks Rishi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishir
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing single space in argument

I want to write a script which will check the arguments and if there is a single space(if 2 more more space in a row , then do not touch), replace it with _ and then gather the argument so, program will be ran ./programname hi hello hi usa now hello hello so, inside of program,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing URL in a file with space

Hi, I have a file with a URL text written in it within double quotes e.g. "http://abcd.xyz.com/mno/somefile.dtd" I want the above text to get replaced by a single space character. I tried cat File1.txt | sed -e 's/("http)*(dtd")/ /g' > File2.txt But it didnt work out. Can someone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete multiple space or tabs from a read only file

Hi, Actually I am want to cut the three fields of "file-nr" file. $ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr 638 219 52270 I want to assign these value to diffrent varibales as follow:- a=638 b=219 c=52270 I tried to use cut command for this purpose and also tried to squeeze all sapces... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bisla.yogender
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing space with pipe(delimiter)

Hello All, I have a file with thousands of records: eg: |000222|123456987|||||||AARONSON| JOHN P|||PRIMARY |P |000111|567894521|||||||ATHENS| WILLIAM k|||AAAA|L Expected: |000222|123456987|||||||AARONSON| JOHN |P|||PRIMARY |P |000111|567894521|||||||ATHENS| WILLIAM |k|||AAAA|L I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OSD
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with replacing tabs inside "" with some text/blank

I am poor with scripting;) I have a file in the following format; 'This is a "test in production" of importance.' I want to get rid of the spaces inside the "" part only to get the output as, 'This is a "testinproduction" of importance.' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shmathew
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed help on replacing space before and after *

I would like to replace the value of * (which might have one or more whitespace(s) before and after *) using sed command in aix. Eg: Var='Hi I am there * Desired output: Hi I am there* (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string with a space

I'm trying to replace a string "99999999'" with the blank where ever is there in the file. Could you please help in unix scripting. Thank You. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing / with a space using awk

I have a string and want to replace the / with a space. For example having "SP/FS/RP" I want to get "SP FS RP" However I am having problems using gsub set phases = `echo $Aphases | awk '{gsub(///," ")}; {print}'` (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing tabs with spaces

I want my program to replace tabs with spaces.1tab=4spaces.When i write aa(tab)aaa(tab)(tab)a(tab) it must show me aaxxaaaxxxxxaxxx. I think that my program works corectly but when a write aaa(tab)a it must show aaaxa but it is aaaxxxxxa.Please for help!!! That is my code: #include <stdio.h> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marto1914
3 Replies
NEATEN(1)						      General Commands Manual							 NEATEN(1)

NAME
neaten - neaten up output columns SYNOPSIS
neaten [ format ] DESCRIPTION
Neaten reads from its standard input and neatens up columns separated by white space using the specified format. The format is a string consisting of a positive integer followed by an alignment character and another integer. The alignment character is usually a decimal point ('.'), but it can be any non-digit. The alignment character is used as the central point of each column. The total column field width will be the number to the left of the alignment character plus one for the alignment character itself plus the number to the right of the alignment character. If a field does not contain the alignment character, it will be printed to the left of where the alignment character would have appeared. If a field is too long to print within the specified format, the entire field will be printed and that row will not be aligned with the rest. The default format is "8.8". EXAMPLE
To examine a file with columns of numbers: neaten 10.8 < input | more BUGS
Columns wider than the total width of the format specification will be printed without any separating white space. The program does not do anything special with tabs on the input. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), total(1) RADIANCE
11/15/93 NEATEN(1)