Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Format problem of text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Format problem of text file Post 302352436 by repinementer on Friday 11th of September 2009 09:35:53 AM
Old 09-11-2009
Format problem of text file

Folks pardon me for trivial question. After searching the entire forum i decided to post this question.

I have a file with some numbers with commas like this
Code:

If i open this textfile with either notepad or wordpad they ae looking absolutely fine. When I open this with excel file the values are looking something like this
Code:

I tried Format -> Text command in MsExcel worked fine. and after saving the file If I open the same file again with excel still they are looking like 1,23456,789.

Do u guyz know how to get rid of this format problem

Thanx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format a text file

I have a file that gets created by pasting 3 files together to get the one file. The output of the 3 files follows. sft.rtf c3_critappdb_u5 start 04:22:20 end 08:03:41 c3_critappdb_u6 start 18:01:31 end 20:21:19 c3_critappdb_u7 start 00:02:50 end 08:30:17 c3_critappdb_u8 start 17:00:42 end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhardy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the text file format

Hi, I have a shell script to unload all the empname who have salary >50000 from the emp table into a text file(empname.txt) . m_db unload "$dbc_file" -column_delimiter ',' -select "SELECT empname FROM emp where salary > 50000" >> empname.txt Now my text file have data in the following format ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Content format in a text file

Hi, I need to format the content in a text file as below format. Can some one help me how to approach? Also whether is it possible to convert the output to excel in column wise? Present: ============================================================================= Name: vinodh Status:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

format text file

i have a text file in this format: name1^A1^B1^ name2^A2^B2^ ... namex^Ax^Bx^ name1^AA1^ name2^AA2^ ... namex^AAx^ name1^AAA1^BBB1^ name2^AAA1^BBB2^ ... namex^AAAx^BBBx^ name1^AAAA1^ name2^AAAA2^ ... namex^AAAAx^ i want to generate a file: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busystock
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text format problem with xmail

Hi, I have a very weird problem when I try to send a text file to outlook using the xmail command. # cat -e dec1.tmp SPEEDY 23-MAR-2011 01:28 ok$ 99svpp pas d'information$ 98pdrt pas d'information$ 57METZ 22-MAR-2011 23:50 ok$ # cat -e dec2.tmp SPEEDY 23-MAR-2011 01:14, SaveSYST ==>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Castelior
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of spaces Text file into CSV format file

Input file (each line is separaed by spaces )given below: Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- -----... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to format column of a text file

Hi Techies I have written a script which is collecting the logs of job running on server and let mail me the output. I want to format column of output, please help. CCMS_BAU_from_CACHE RUN ETL_SUBSITE_TO_SITE_BAU RUN GetClient_Prep_Main RUN MDM_Client_BAU RUN Sweeper RUN... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format problem while converting text file to csv

Hi , I need a help in following scenario.I tried searching in google but couldn't able to find the exact answer. Sorry if i am re-posting already answered query. While i am trying to convert into log file into csv i couldn't able to get the format which i am looking for. I converted file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varmas424
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the text file for particular format

Hi All, Need your help!! I have particular host file with below format: 172.34.45.67 Host1 Host2 134.45.56.67 Host3 Host4 Host5 I need shell script snippet which read this file and change the format of the file to the below format 172.34.45.67 Host1 172.34.45.67 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format text file to html

Hi Experts, Anybody out there figure out on how to achieve in shell scripts or tools. I have done googling to find solutions but no luck. I have thousands of .txt files to batch process, please see the below sample text content after -------- start here --------. What I want to achieve is to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
10 Replies
ARITHMETIC(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     ARITHMETIC(6)

NAME
arithmetic -- quiz on simple arithmetic SYNOPSIS
arithmetic [-o +-x/] [-r range] DESCRIPTION
arithmetic asks you to solve problems in simple arithmetic. Each question must be answered correctly before going on to the next. After every 20 problems, it prints the score so far and the time taken. You can quit at any time by typing the interrupt or end-of-file character. The options are as follows: -o By default, arithmetic asks questions on addition of numbers from 0 to 10, and corresponding subtraction. By supplying one or more of the characters +-x/, you can ask for problems in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, respectively. If you give one of these characters more than once, that kind of problem will be asked correspondingly more often. -r If a range is supplied, arithmetic selects the numbers in its problems in the following way. For addition and multiplication, the numbers to be added or multiplied are between 0 and range, inclusive. For subtraction and division, both the required result and the number to divide by or subtract will be between 0 and range. (Of course, arithmetic will not ask you to divide by 0.) The default range is 10. When you get a problem wrong, arithmetic will remember the numbers involved, and will tend to select those numbers more often than others, in problems of the same sort. Eventually it will forgive and forget. arithmetic cannot be persuaded to tell you the right answer. You must work it out for yourself. DIAGNOSTICS
``What?'' if you get a question wrong. ``Right!'' if you get it right. ``Please type a number.'' if arithmetic doesn't understand what you typed. SEE ALSO
bc(1), dc(1) BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD