Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of fields handled by awk Post 302352309 by Franklin52 on Friday 11th of September 2009 03:16:32 AM
Old 09-11-2009
One way is not to use the ~ as fieldseparator and to place the fields in an array with the split function.
Should be something like this, play around with it:

Code:
awk '{
  split($0,array,"~")
  # now you can process the elements array[1]...array[104]
}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Maximum number of threads handled by a process????

Hi Anybody knows max. no. of threads handled by a process in linux. Please reply Thanks in advnce :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agnello
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to (n)awk lines of CSV with certain number of fields?

I have a CSV file with a variable number of fields per record. How do I print lines of a certain number of fields only? Several permutations of the following (including the use of escape characters) have failed to retrieve the line I'm after (1,2,3,4)... $ cat myfile 1,2,3,4 1,2,3 $ # Print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split lines without knowing the number of fields a-priori

I want to use awk to split fields and put them into a file but I don't know the number of fields for example, in the following line Ports: 22/filtered/tcp//ssh///, 53/open/tcp//tcpwrapped///, 111/filtered/tcp//rpcbind///, 543/filtered/tcp//klogin///, 544/filtered/tcp//kshell///,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh88 and awk] Number of fields with a value.

Hi, With: # VALUES="one~two~~~" # echo $VALUES | awk 'BEGIN {FS="~"} {print NF}' 5 I can determine the number of fields. How to determine the number of fields with a value ? In this case 2. Thanks in advance, ejdv (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make all records with the same number of fields (awk)

Hi, input: AA|BB|CC DD|EE FF what I am trying to get: AA|BB|CC DD|EE| FF|| I tried to create first an UDF for printing repeats, but I think I have an issue with my END section or my array: function repeat(str, n, rep, i) { for(i=1 ;i<n;i++) rep=rep str return rep } ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the number of fields using awk

Hi Guys, I've obviously had a senior moment here, what I'm trying to do is set the number of fields to 35 in a csv these should be appended to the end of the line. But what I'm getting is:- Source Data $ head out_file_01.txt N1000,024,2809003,,,3,DYNAMIC AVLEASE INC,PO BOX... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
10 Replies
SPLIT(3)								 1								  SPLIT(3)

split - Split string into array by regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array split (string $pattern, string $string, [int $limit = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Splits a $string into array by regular expression. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case sensitive regular expression. If you want to split on any of the characters which are considered special by regular expressions, you'll need to escape them first. If you think split(3) (or any other regex function, for that matter) is doing some- thing weird, please read the file regex.7, included in the regex/ subdirectory of the PHP distribution. It's in manpage format, so you'll want to do something along the lines of man /usr/local/src/regex/regex.7 in order to read it. o $string - The input string. o $limit - If $limit is set, the returned array will contain a maximum of $limit elements with the last element containing the whole rest of $string. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of strings, each of which is a substring of $string formed by splitting it on boundaries formed by the case-sensitive regular expression $pattern. If there are n occurrences of $pattern, the returned array will contain n+1 items. For example, if there is no occurrence of $pattern, an array with only one element will be returned. Of course, this is also true if $string is empty. If an error occurs, split(3) returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 split(3) example To split off the first four fields from a line from /etc/passwd: <?php list($user, $pass, $uid, $gid, $extra) = split(":", $passwd_line, 5); ?> Example #2 split(3) example To parse a date which may be delimited with slashes, dots, or hyphens: <?php // Delimiters may be slash, dot, or hyphen $date = "04/30/1973"; list($month, $day, $year) = split('[/.-]', $date); echo "Month: $month; Day: $day; Year: $year<br /> "; ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip split(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split(3) is the suggested alternative to this function. If you don't require the power of regular expressions, it is faster to use explode(3), which doesn't incur the overhead of the regular expression engine. Tip For users looking for a way to emulate Perl's @chars = split('', $str) behaviour, please see the examples for preg_split(3) or str_split(3). SEE ALSO
preg_split(3), spliti(3), str_split(3), explode(3), implode(3), chunk_split(3), wordwrap(3). PHP Documentation Group SPLIT(3)