Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut -- line with no delimiters Post 302351528 by ryandegreat25 on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 10:46:34 PM
Old 09-08-2009
i guess cut is not your way. i would use awk in cases like these.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut based on Two Delimiters at one go

Hi I wanted to cut the feilds comming after % and After $ at one go can we do some thing like this cut -f 2 -d "%|$" (But it doesnot work) Input File BWPG %TCPRP1 $SCSPR000 BWPH %TCPRP1 $SCSPR003 BWPI %TRTYUP ResourceDescription="IMPRIMANTE " $BWOPTY BWPJ %ZOMBIE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to find the number of tab delimiters in a line

Hi, I need to find the number of tab delimiters in the first line of a file.So using word=`head -1 files.txt` I have extracted the first line of file into a variable word.It has 20 tab delimted columns.So can anyone help me in finding the number of delimiters? I am using csh and I am a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poornimajayan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut in line

hi how can i get from Komendant st. house 50 ex. 1 fl. 1000 to > Kome.50.2.1000 Elsestreet house 51 ex. 2 fl. 11 to > Else.51.2.11 ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut specific line and one line under?

Hi guys, I need to analyze the following alert log file: Beginning log switch checkpoint up to RBA , SCN: 3916025539605 Sat May 1 00:54:52 2010 Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 271423 (LGWR switch) Current log# 1 seq# 271423 mem# 0: /dw/stg_redo01/log_dwstg_g1_m1.log Current log# 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading line by line and cut

I have a file like name file.txt whose contents are 3 fields separated by colon':' . somewhat like code/OR_R1400_RC4/BM_ATEMP_11.0.1.33:28/01/2010:N code/OR_R1400_RC5/BM_ATEMP_11.0.1.35:28/01/2010:Y code/OR_R1400_RC4/BM_ATEMP_11.0.1.33:29/01/2010:N... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
8 Replies

7. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut fields between delimiters

I'm having bother getting both lines contained in a file to output as the same value. A simple example: john:123456:123:456:doe john:123456:123:doe cut -d: -f1,4 input file john:456 john:doe ^ first line should be same as second. trick one for me, i know why it's because of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landofus
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut counting consecutive delimiters as fields

When cut encounters consecutive delimiters it seems to count each instance as a field, at least with spaces. Is this typical behavior for any delimiter? #:~$ ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 94:de:80:a7:6d:e1 #:~$ ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr | cut -d " " -f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut between two delimiters, / and .

BASH : I have a very long list I am parsing through: 10/10/19... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [-v "string"] [pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2 Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3 Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4 Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)